Light-O-Rama Forums

Salt Water LED lighting

Arnoldc

I know it is a little off the normal topics at hand but I am shocked at the prices that I am seeing for LED lighting for reef tanks. I am currently using 2 150 watt Metal Halide bulbs, and the time to change bulbs is due.. So I started looking around to see what my other options are regarding lighting. I want to switch to LED lights, but to get the proper lighting we are looking at $1200 for lights..
Then, I was thinking color ribbon.. but then again, I do not know really how bright these are. (the current LED bulbs advertised is 1 watt per bulb and about 55 bulbs per unit.. I need 3 units)
So I am thinking, some of the DIYers we have around here may have better ideas how to make some of these units for a lot cheaper in price. Anyone got any ideas?

Arnold

Arnold -

Remember, when dealing with reef tanks, the color tempurature or the light is critical for the growth of your coral. I have not investigated LEDs for my tank, but would think that getting LEDs with the correct color temperature may be more expensive than your standard, run of the mill Christmas lighting LEDs. Also, I have noticed that the color (or at least intensity) of the light produced by LEDs shift over time, just as it does in our halides. If your LED units lasted 2 years, that would be a very expensive replacement every couple of years...

Stick with the MHs. Great color and brightness at a reasonable price. I can usually get my 175W halides for about $60 each.

D.T.

Try to visit some local fish stores that have LED lighting in the display and stock tanks. A store near me has new led lights on their stock tanks. The strips had three blues to one white if I remember right. Most tanks had one row of leds, the coral tanks had two rows. I personally thought it was hard on the eyes. I experimented on my wife's 120 gallon salt tank with my 10W leds. It made a nice highlight spot, but wasn't impressed for use as regular lighting.

Any aquarium lighting is rediculous in price, but also consider the environment your trying to light, salt water is brutal to everything.

I just remembered there's another store that has one open top tank with led lighting that I do like. It's very bright and easy on the eyes. I'll try to stop there soon and get a brand name for you.

I found a few that I really liked as well. The thing I am not wanting is all the "cool" add-ons that these light systems are coming with. I mean, who would like a lightening storm in their house? The daylight feature is pretty cool. But I would be happy with just lights.
After loosing thousands of dollars, and years of growth on coral, on a coral crash (to this day, we do not know what happened)I am slowly getting back into the coral side of the hobby. I guess, for the moment it maybe worth sticking with my M.H. bulbs til I feel that the tank can keep coral alive again.

At least MH is way more efficient than incandescent. It takes a lot more W of led to replace 100W of MH than 100W of incandescent.