Light-O-Rama Forums

dang music sync bad bad ...........!!!!!!!

Guest guest

Don't give up. It takes time and practice. I think my shows look like .... as well, but I'm still very excited. There is a huge learning curve associated with it. Be patient.

However if you are seriously planning on selling your LOR stuff I might be interested.

Cheer up! Everyone has problems like that! I did to when I first started. It just takes time, lots of it. For some people here they say it takes them 2 hours for every min of song. I only have 24 channels so for me it is only about 1/2 hour per min. of song. Dont Give Up!

--Daniel L

djlink wrote:

I am about to give up and dump all my LOR stuff. I have tried and tried to sync music and it looks like a ..............mess

There are places where you can get shared sequences.... like www.lorsequences.com and www.lorwiki.com ... Some times it helps to start out with a sequence that is "working" and then to tweak it to match your display.

Ahh..... Patience Grasshopper. :laughing:

Slow your music down in order to get it right on the money. I have had songs that I had to keep playing as slow as 1/4 speed over and over and over until I could get it right on. Also, it helped me alot by using wav's rather then mp3's when sequencing. mp3's tend to throw timing off when stopping and starting mid song.

Good luck and hang in there!
Tim

djlink wrote:

I am about to give up and dump all my LOR stuff. I have tried and tried to sync music and it looks like a ..............mess

djlink wrote:

Don't give up. Even if you do a static display this year you have a whole year to practice for 2007. Just Imagine how good it will look next year. :waycool:

DJ,

Don't give up. Consider this season a test and don't be so hard on your self. As folks here have stated, it takes a huge amount of time to get something like this going.

Hang in there. You will shine in 2007.

If you give up, you won't shine.

Last resort, send me your stuff and I'll take a stab at it. But it won't be until after the holidays that I can get to it. But I still love to build sequences even after the holidays.

Tom

First you need to start off with a slower or simpler sequence. I'm working on "Here Comes Santa Claus" sung by Gene Autry and it's going fairly easy mainly because you can really see the beats and the vocals in the wave form. Also, there are only a couple of things going on at once, which again, just simplifies things. It would be crazy to start with something like "Wizards in Winter."

djlink wrote:

First off most people here are too aragant to understand but LOR/AL/D--Light can be used in other ways than synching to music. There are quite a few of us that use our computer control to do something other than blinking lights to music. As mentioned on another thread there are a lot of people that think they can synch but just haven't got it yet. For me, I don't synch because my display almost completely changes each year and between all my other obligations I don't have time to resequence everything each year.

Finally in closing, it always comes up at this time of the year about light counts. Someone will always say that having lots of lights doesn't necessarily make it a good display. I will go on record that just because you synch to music (or don't really as we have seen), it doesn't mean you have a good display. Figure out ways to make your display stand out and do it for the fun of it, not to be the next big thing.

Hang in there and have fun with your LOR!

Jeff
Owner of nearly 200 channels of LOR, no FM Transmitter, and no I don't synch to music!

Do like I did to learn - Grab a sequence somewhere and work with it. Adjust it to your setup and channels and make it work for you. Then go in and fix any misses or glitches in the timing to make it better.... the next thing you know you'll be saying... the heck with it Im going to resequnce this from scratch, my way. Trust me youll pick up on it... being able to follow a rhythm in a song helps too.

I have several thoughts from my experiences this season with 80 channels.

1. Extreme planning is the key to any display, animated or not. I started sequencing in July 06 as time permitted. The results are spectacular.

2. With anything relatively complex as this (not hard, just complex), go easy on yourself. My very first sequence was with Trans Siberian Orchestra - Jingle Bells. It is only 58 seconds long, has clear beats with no vocals (vocals are more difficult to work with), and is easy to imagine various parts of my display dancing to the beats.

3. You'll be amazed by coming back and looking at a sequence subsequent weeks later, you will catch yourself saying "Wow, I can really beef this part up good for a (visual) punch to the eye balls!" This is where the fun sets in.

Allow yourself this opportunity and plan for the 2007 season.

I started synching in April, 2006. I didn't get it until Don provided one of his sequences and the animation. I watched his programming in the sequence editor and compared it to the video on the web. That is when the proverbial light bulb came on. Then, I took a couple shared sequences from the web and played with them, modifying them to what I planned to do. I finally graduated to feeling comfortable and starting my own songs from scratch. I didn't feel like a newbie anymore, that is, until I started setting the controllers up, setting up a show and the scheduling. It is a learning curve, but it suppsed to be fun. If you get frustrated, back off for awhile and then come back to it. Don't do like me and start with a lot of channels, that just complicates things and adds to the frustration. Get comfortable doing 16 or 32 channels; once you are comfortable there, you can always go back to your sequences and put in additional channels if you wish.

are you maybe having a problem that i experienced early on in my sequencing. when i first started one of my first sequences, i was all but ready to scrap the whole thing and run my usual static display. i was having a problem sinking the lights with the music because of the lor programs in ability to read variable bit rate mp3 and set the correct timing for you to program your lights to. (about a week of time after work wasted on failed sequences) then i figured i must have had a problem with the music when i programed a mp3 with 128 bit sampling with no trouble at all. so under closer examination of my music i found that the problem songs (all TSO) were recorder in 195 bit variable bit rate. i used nero to convert them to 128 standard bit rate and had no problem after that.

i shouldn't say no problem. as it is time consuming and difficult to stay focused on the song(what beat and instrument you want to sync) and the channels that need programed. a good friend of mine is working on a plug in for win amp that will let you set frequency and volume parameters to register taps into the lor program. this should be a great time saver. he has another thread running under "tap magic".

the best advice i can give is if you don't have any errors as i described with the variable bit rate. is that perseverance and perspiration will bring results.

I feel for you and sympathize with your frustration ,

Bill

160 channel LOR

112 channel mega tree