Light-O-Rama Forums

making a matrix from digital strip

ben

Hi Guys this year i am looking to make a 180 channels digital strip matrix.

5 x 1m long. i know people have done this using CCR but has anyone done it with 2801 digital strip??

im looking to put it on my chimney and us it for my tune to sign and message board and also for some graphics if i can. would love any advice on this. as i will be using S3 and super star.

Im not certain S3 will work in that capacity only because it was designed for use with the CCR (LOR Product).

I assume you know you will need an advanced license that is true, because DMX and the channles you will be running will quickly dictate that.

As for the setup Id be willing to bet you can use SuperStar to set it up and use the sequence it created and export then copy the channels to your Digital strip. Its no impossible but the steps would take some time to get through. Ill mess around with it tonight to see if theres a work around. I know it will require a SuperStar license as well, I have one already so Ill play around to see what I can come up with.

Jeff Millard wrote:

Careful what you wish for...:(

Whatcha mean Jeff?

Ben heres what I got. I jumped into Visualizer and made a quick template using CCR matrix I made it to your spec of 180 channels which is only 60 pixels so my display was 6x10 interms of pixels. I hope that makes sense. Jump into Superstar and imported the visualization and got to work dropping in text and only text, how those guys get images on there is still beyond me but Im learning. Regadless only text, no Macros and thats the important part do not use macros as what you plan on doing will not support them. Export and this is where you going to have to max out the license but it worked fine. The channels were under CCR format but now all I need to do is reasign the channels and BAM SuperStar + Pixel equals work! So it takes a few steps to make it work as far as that is considered. Not hard but can be done! Max out both licenses and enjoy.

awsome foogy i will have a play with it i thought you could just use superstar but was worried that you could only do it with ccr so i will have a play around with it. i have seen in the demos that you can do graphics also but not as easy as in LSP.

will have to have a play and let you know how i go

i have advance with 2 ccr licence

Ben monro wrote:

awsome foogy i will have a play with it i thought you could just use superstar but was worried that you could only do it with ccr so i will have a play around with it. i have seen in the demos that you can do graphics also but not as easy as in LSP.

The thing to remember is rows in SuperStar, only way I can get text is with 6 rows so you will need a huge license at the minimum. Im superprised you cant do it with less. As you can take 2 CCRs and set them up properly to make a 8x12 grid but I guess thats either on purpose for sales or just wasnt thought of in the first release. I would assume that it wasnt thought of for the start.

GoofyGuy wrote:

Ben monro wrote:

The thing to remember is rows in SuperStar, only way I can get text is with 6 rows so you will need a huge license at the minimum. Im superprised you cant do it with less. As you can take 2 CCRs and set them up properly to make a 8x12 grid but I guess thats either on purpose for sales or just wasnt thought of in the first release. I would assume that it wasnt thought of for the start.

Having a matrix with a very high resolution is a double edged sword - it's great for the level of detail it can provide but it has high build costs, very high channel counts and is usually (depending on the application and what you are doing with it) hard to program.

Here is a video that shows a simple 8 x 8 matrix that is 5ft x 5ft. A limited number of channels, low cost, cheap pixels...

http://vimeo.com/18220911

dmoore wrote:

GoofyGuy wrote:
Ben monro wrote:

Having a matrix with a very high resolution is a double edged sword - it's great for the level of detail it can provide but it has high build costs, very high channel counts and is usually (depending on the application and what you are doing with it) hard to program.

Here is a video that shows a simple 8 x 8 matrix that is 5ft x 5ft. A limited number of channels, low cost, cheap pixels...

Is that the square 3 led pixels you sell placed behind the coro. Not bad for only 8x8. Thats what 192 channels for that 1 prop?

GoofyGuy wrote:

dmoore wrote:
GoofyGuy wrote:
Ben monro wrote:

Is that the square 3 led pixels you sell placed behind the coro. Not bad for only 8x8. Thats what 192 channels for that 1 prop?

Believe it or not, it's just simple little 6803 pixel modules, each with three 5050 LEDs. You don't really need that many to get something fairly large lit up if you have the right diffusion.

Here is what they look like inside:

http://vimeo.com/16577237

• 4 weeks later...

Ben, I am looking at doing the same thing. One thought is using the CCR strips and cutting them in half. Only thing stopping me the the high cost. I like the coro idea but the resolution is not where I would like it to be. I have an idea using something like the bottom of an egg carton (foam) to form the cells and use RGB nodes into the bottom of each. Using a piece of Coro for the front. It would increase the resolution. Need to size the project up in both overall egg carton sizing (quan of cartons) and then figure the number of nodes needed and then determine overall cost. Gotta play with the idea

Hi Ben,
Keep us updated on your progress! I too plan on using 2801 pixels and am waiting on a test string and an E681 board.

Have read that racer and i am a member of ACL. i know how to build it. im not using CCR strip but 2801 strip. i can do what i want to do in lsp but want to see if i can do it in S3. it is the programing of the matrix that is the issue.

also i know Eddy and have been to his place and have seen it and he is the one that has encouraged me to make my own. he has also agreed that i should go 2801 as you get better fades.