Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR Durability

Ralph A

Hi all,

I will be a future user of CCRs as soon as they come back in stock and have been thinking about setup.

I was thinking of just leaving them up all year round, permanently mounting them to the exterior of the house with stainless steel clips. I have brick siding.

Are they resilient enough to be left up all year round? I live in the northeast...so there is plenty of snow, rain, etc. 90 degree days, 0 degree days

Another possibility was mounting them underneath my gutters. If they are mounted on the gutters will there be issues with being able to see the light? Since the LEDs are pointed down will the light be diminished since LED viewing angle is not 360 degrees?

Quad wrote:

Hi all,

I will be a future user of CCRs as soon as they come back in stock and have been thinking about setup.

I was thinking of just leaving them up all year round, permanently mounting them to the exterior of the house with stainless steel clips. I have brick siding.

Are they resilient enough to be left up all year round? I live in the northeast...so there is plenty of snow, rain, etc. 90 degree days, 0 degree days

Another possibility was mounting them underneath my gutters. If they are mounted on the gutters will there be issues with being able to see the light? Since the LEDs are pointed down will the light be diminished since LED viewing angle is not 360 degrees?
If you edit your profile maybe we can help you assess the weather conditions in your area as we may have members residing close by with the same equipment .

Quad wrote:

Hi all,

If mounted under your gutters you will have a nice wash effect on the house, and should be able to leave them up all year, as long as they are shaded from direct sunlight.

I would not leave any of our lighting products on exposed surfaces year round, due to the effects of UV, despite the claims that some products have about being UV resistant.

Talking about UV resistance is similar to comparing water resistant items to water proof, which as most folks know is very different. (or IP 64 vs IP68)

Greg

Nice to see another new local on the forums. I live a little south of Buffalo.

• 1 month later...

I think this is a good place to ask this. I'm putting CCRs along my rooflines, but they're vaulted, going from a straight line to a 45 degree incline. Anyone have pointers as to how to run the CCR from a horizontal line to a 45 degree incline without damaging them ?

These are my first CCRs, but I imagine everyone that makes circles has to have come up with something. :shock:

• 1 year later...

I don't chime in much but do read alot. So there are alot of CCR's out there and I think there is a ton more CCR's in operation with no problems than just the few you see reported here that have problems. It's kinda like watching ther news, you only hear about the bad stuff.

With that said I have two CCR's that make 4 arches and have two "crucial" bends in them. I handled these things like they were dynamite when installing and taking down. I even waited until a warm day so they would be more flexible when taking them down and coiled them up, putting them back in the original box. "Knock on wood" I have not had any problems, but I don't think I will purchase anymore of these in the future unless the durability changes.

I just go my first 2 CCR's and open one to take a look at it.  I plan on doing arches but need to know how to mount them to the actual arch. I know you use zip ties at the cut points but how to you actually arch the ribbon?  You would want the led's to face forward, but that would require bending the ribbon on it's side, not on the flat part where how the come rolled.  

Also, you said you made 4 arches out of 2 CCR's.  Did you cut them or just loop from one to then next continuous. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is a good place to ask this. I'm putting CCRs along my rooflines, but they're vaulted, going from a straight line to a 45 degree incline. Anyone have pointers as to how to run the CCR from a horizontal line to a 45 degree incline without damaging them ?These are my first CCRs, but I imagine everyone that makes circles has to have come up with something. :shock:

I am curious as well,

They flex a little. So if you have enough distance to make a gradual turn you might be OK. But I don’t think that kinking them to make a sharp turn is a good idea. I’m guessing the best think to do would be to cut them and add wire jumpers to make the turn.

I help a buddy,and he has three ccr's mounted to pex in a circle.He did not zip tie any of the strips at the cut line nad has  had zero issues in two years

• 2 months later...

So I have some generics from China and noticed a couple of bad pixels. Is it hard or bad to use one strip as a spare for parts and just solder on new parts (at the solder points) to replace the bad pixels? So far I'm a bit scared cause, man, they really are fragile compared to dumb strips!

• The topic was locked