Light-O-Rama Forums

Floating Ghosts

Arnoldc

Ive seen them here, even saw how one member made them.. But I cannot find it anymore! What I'm wanting to do is do the floating ghost thing with a black light. If anyone remembers/had a video or link I would great appreciate it..

Thanks!
Arnold

It's called a Flying crank ghost. You can search youtube, I don't know which tutorial is best, there are lot's to choose from...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Ive seen the ghosts made with a motor from graingers and wiper motors but has anyone tried using a rotisserie motor I got 2 of them at a flea market today for 2 bucks.

Ive seen the ghosts made with a motor from graingers and wiper motors but has anyone tried using a rotisserie motor I got 2 of them at a flea market today for 2 bucks.

Those would work well for this prop. They have high torque and typically will not strip gears. Nice price also! I always have my eye out for those.

• 4 weeks later...

If all else fails you could try this

http://www.kickthefog.com/crank_ghost.htm

We've had our FCG for a long time now, and it still looks great year after year. My parents made our FCG back in the late 90s early 00s, and the motor cost them about $100 back then.

Not to change the subject but would blue leds have a similar effect as the black lights on a FCG?

If all else fails you could try this

http://www.kickthefo...crank_ghost.htm

We've had our FCG for a long time now, and it still looks great year after year. My parents made our FCG back in the late 90s early 00s, and the motor cost them about $100 back then.

Not to change the subject but would blue leds have a similar effect as the black lights on a FCG?

Blue LEDs would cast a blue glow on the ghost... definately NOT the same effect of having UV light up the ghost. The blue light from the LEDs would reflect off of the white material to your eyes. With UV, the UV light donates an electron to the fluorescent material. This electron is immediately released as light... so instead of reflecting light back to your eyes (ho-hum), it is actually emmitting light (WOW!) that travels directly to your eyes. A whole different effect.

You CAN get UV LEDs... that will give you the effect that you want... You can find them on the internet all over the place, including ebay.

D.T.

I love those things.

Here's mine with black light in front and red leds shining on a sheet behind it.

post-42-0-58382500-1344269158_thumb.jpg

Tom-

Did you buy those or make them?? I kinda gave up on that item this year.. I quickly fell behind, as we all do.. And something had to give...

Hey Arnold,

Sorry for the delay. had class all day.

If you're talkin the FCG, yes, I made it.

If you're not talkin FCG, then please elaborate.

Tom

Thanks Arnold,

Most people use cheese clothe for the covering (i used it years ago) but I used a satin silk clothe for this last one (really cheap at a thrift store), dipped in detergent as usual for that blueish glow under blacklight. The satin silk clothe provides for of a realistic clothing type look (like ghosts wearing clothes if you will). A tigher knit but still has a see thru effect.

The upper body structure under the clothe is a plastic skeleton (but use the upper torso only) like you get at local stores during Halloween (a lot of folks use wire as the body frame). The sife-size skeletons, light weight, plastic versions work best.

Then insert LEDs into the eye sockets.

I made one with this method back in the mid 90s and is still ghosting along.

Good stuff I tell ya. Good stuff......