Light-O-Rama Forums

sound playback issue

Guest guest

Hi all,

I noticed something interesting last night with my setup. When i use the LOR control panel to run the show, the music sounds poorer in quality and is not as loud compared to if i just play the song using windows media player on it's own. I have tried to find any options in the LOR sequencer/control panel that may affect the sound playback but i cant seem to find anything like that. Has anyone here had a similar problem? If so, how did you fix it? I'm hoping it's not due to my pc struggling to cope with playing back mp3's while running the show as my lights pc is only a Pentium 1 250Mhz with 256Mb RAM. Any help appreciated....

Luke

Edit: re-read your question. What do you mean by LOR control panel?

Luke,

If you're going thru a stereo unit or FM transmitter, try turning down the volume on the computer and turning up the volume on the stereo unit. or it might be a faulty cable.

Tom

Tom,

The amplifier is at max volume, as is the volume on my pc soundcard. Im very sure it isn't a faulty cable as it sounds nice and loud and like it should when i play a song through windows media player. What i mean by LOR control panel is the LOR program that runs in your system tray while a show is playing. I was looking for some type of option in there that may affect the sound output while the show is running but there is no such thing.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Luke

Luke wrote:

Tom,

The amplifier is at max volume, as is the volume on my pc soundcard.

Try double clicking the "Volume" icon in your System Tray to open the "Volume Control" panel. Is the "Slider Control " for "Wave" more than half way up? Mine is about 3/4 up the slider and the level is more than sufficient to drive a Ramsey FM25B FM Transmitter. My Volume slider is about 1/3 the way up.

Not sure what you mean by the "Amplifier is at max volume". Are you using an amplifier with speakers outside?

Yes I am using a 150 watt power amp that takes the speaker out from my soundcard and amplifies it to power some large outdoor speakers. The volume sliders are all turned up to full on the soundcard.

Again, with the above settings on the soundcard, the sound output seems fine when playing a song through windows media player on it's own. However as soon as the same songs are played back during the show the audio quality and volume seems to decrease quite noticeably. This is why i think it is something to do with either the pc processing power as it cant cope with playing back mp3's while running LOR or some kind of settings in LOR that affect the way it plays back audio files during a show.

Luke

Well you shouldn't have to, but it won't hurt. I have noticed a difference in the audio play back after running them through, it seems clean up a lot of the extra stuff WMP seems to stick in the encoding. I've started running all of mine through Audacity even if I haven't noticed a problem.

Yeah im not sure that it will fix my problem as they do playback perfectly using windows media player when the show isnt running. That would suggest the mp3 quality is fine. Somehow the quality is only affected when the songs are played back while a show is running...

I notice a similar issue. For some reason, my wav file sound louder when they are playing in another app than Light-O-Rama. I need to turn the volume up lounder than usual when I am syncing.

Another thought. What is the bit rate on the mp3's, you might try dropping them to 128bit. LOR uses the WMP protocol but it doesn't seem, at times, to match 100% of what you hear or see in WMP. I think that is why LOR recommends using Audacity with Lame to convert the audio, it strips out the extra stuff WMP puts in files.

I have noticed the playback between WMP and other players (RealPlayer, Winamp) is not the same, WMP being worse sounding when all playback settings are comparable between players.

As mentioned by someone else, you should adjust your volume on the PC. We will look setting a volume in the next version of the software.

As far as sound quaility.... That may be related to the codex used to decode the MP3. We use what ever the default is for the WMP APIs that we use. We will look into that also. BUT if you were running WAV files I do not think you would have differences in sound quality.