Light-O-Rama Forums

illuminating coro

Ron Boyd

I'm sure this has been discussed several times, but I can't seem to find anything. Me being a newbie to computer lighting and the forums I need some help. I have some stars made from Coro, 4 mil thick, and about 20" tall. I doubled up on the coro for sturdiness so they are 2 sheets thick.

Problem #1: I poked holes in the coro, pushed M6 pure white LEDs through. The star lights up nice and bright but the lights wash out the shape of the stars.

Problem #2: Say I split the 2 pieces apart with maybe spacers in between, and then put the lights on the back piece. Will that illuminate the star similar to using RGB? Is there a specific distance I'll need to space the 2 pieces?

I haven't gotten into (RGB) yet, and quite honostly, am intimidated by what I read on creating them. I would like to eventually, but I'm still building my show. I'm almost finished with pieces for 2012, but the stars are beginning to be my Achilles Heel.

Any help would always be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

1) if you are washing out your shape then it is possible your lights are too close. It is hard to see my video's since the camera washed them out; however, take a look, you in real life you can clearly see every bulb on my snowflakes and my star. All made from 4ml coro.

2)You have to play. In my coro village houses, I put 5volt lights behind the coro to make it look like the lights were on in the house window. The lights were about 1/2 inch. It all depends on the lights you use and how bright they are. Dave (Holidaycoro.com) might be able to shed some light (lol) on the distance.

3) There is no reason to double up the coro. 1 ml sheet is fine. You might need to support the back with PVC or wire.

Send a picture of your stars!

here's a couple of pics from varying distances. Once I got them outside they seemed to look quite a bit better.

Attached files 303628=16661-2012-01-20_20-13-46_719.jpg

I've found that every project i do in Coro I end up varying the distance between the bulbs and the coro to my liking. I like adding a layer of coro over the bulbs, rather than exposing the bulbs in most cases. I basically do a mock up and experiment to see what spacing is needed to make it look good.
I also have found that what looks good to your eye, may not look as good to the camera. They seem to pick up the hot spots a little more whereas your eyes tend to see the smooth glow.

dave

Yeah, understood. I was planning on trying that when I return home today. I have 4 panels cut and ready to go. Do you poke the LEDs through the back coro and then mock up the distance or is there a better way to attach the lights?

The problem with poking holes in coro is safety. The sh*t is sharp! I use this type of bit; http://www.drillbitwarehouse.com/home?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=878 It creates a pilot hole before making the larger hole.

Your distance looks about what I would have used. Keep in mind you do not need to show the star with full intensity. Try 70% and go to 100% when the song warrents a boost.

Here is a coro star using RGB's and a LOR DC board. 3 RGB channels (9 physical channels) - have you thought of making your star RGB?

http://vimeo.com/29280208

Would love to make them RGB. I plan on starting RGB, but at a later time. 2012 will be only my 2nd year with computer controlled lighting and to be honest, I'm a little intimidated by the whole RGB universe. With what little electrical and electronics know-how I have, I think I would need someone to teach me hands on, shoulder to shoulder. I would feel better doing that instead of trying to figure it out on my own.

how about covering them with something to diffuse the light?

Like the frosted plastic they use for fluorescent lighting...

Your first post (pic)of your stars look great from a distance and that's how everyone will see them in our display

Here is an RGB version of the star using the same diffusion design:

Here you can see it running in my 2010 display (lower left corner on the megatree):

They really are a great addition to a megatree!