Light-O-Rama Forums

How do you keep controllers from being stolen?

jgordon

I'm going to build a display in my church's front yard, and am trying to figure out how to keep the controllers from "walking away." Does anyone have any nifty ideas about securing things in a wide, open space? I'm using the plastic controller boxes, not the metal ones.

Been here three years and have never heard of anyone's controllers being stolen...

But...

I have my controllers (4) in enclosures that have places for bolts (top and bottom)...so I attach my enclosures to a metal plate that is welded to a metal fence post so I am able to use a lock thru the top bolt hole and just a bolt thru the bottom one.

Grant it, it would be very easy just to unplug the 64 dongles and pull out the fence post..so the lock is more a deterrent than anything else...

If you don't mind running a LOT of extension cords, you cold also put all your controllers in a central location in a more secure area...such as inside a small shed or something.

Install lots of bright flashing lights all over the property around the controllers, including along rooflines, trees, bushes, etc. Usually does the trick! :P

Honestly, in my several years here, I haven't read a single episode of controllers getting taken. Most people won't know what they are or their value (only valuable if you know what to do with them or who to sell them too--which they won't). Compared to all the copper you will have laying out (extension cords), the controllers aren't very attractive to most thieves. The most common problem is vandals. Vandals will be attracted to "cute" or obvious display items. Therefore many here will just make their controllers look as boring as possible. Some will even paint them black, or make them look dirty/junky (brown splotchy paint). I am not a fan of the technique that some have of putting the controllers in a box and wrapping it like a present and put a bow on top. That just screams "hit me with a baseball bat" written all over it. To be honest, controllers aren't really easy to take quickly--have to disconnect or cut 18 extension cords. I attach mine to two green fence posts (that have a spade shaped piece of metal a the bottom of the post that goes into the ground). They are very difficult to get out of the ground (especially 2 at a time). Don't know your location (hint, hint), but if the ground freezes, they are nearly impossible to get out of the ground in a pair like that. If trees nearby, you could chain them to the tree, but again conceal the chain so it doesn't make it look like you are protecting something valuable.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

I attach mine to two green fence posts (that have a spade shaped piece of metal a the bottom of the post that goes into the ground). They are very difficult to get out of the ground (especially 2 at a time).

I'm going to 2nd this method. For the units I have in the yard, I actually only use 1 green fence post. I take a U-shaped bolt, put it around the green post & insert the bolt ends into the unit casing. I then ziptie each batch of pigtails (1-8, 9-16 & the 2 male cords) to the green post. At the very least, they would have to unplug everything and take the unit and post. To secure it even more, ziptie a pigtail to the connecting cord, especially one that leads to a decoration or light string that's hard to take on its own accord.

In general, just make it inconvenient for someone to try to take. More likely than not, someone would be interested in the decorations rather than the LOR unit.

Im in a townhouse so everything is super close to the street. Im in a gated community that the gates are default closed all day. My controllers are protected by a few things

1) Neighbors are retired (home all day) They like to tell me everything that happens from the water meter reader to a kid on a bicycle

2) The frame they are attached to is chained to my main pillar by my front door, there is also a chain running to the front of the controllers where the pad lock goes in

3) The Mossberg 930SX for when Im home.

I have no issues with a lot of stuff in the yard. Lots of kids some I do not like so much but they all enjoyed the lights almost nightly with differnt friends. I think out of the fact its something they like they will leave it be.

Leave a friend there with a sign that says something like...

"Spike can make it to the curb in 1.3 seconds. CAN YOU?"

Attached files 303211=16641-dig.jpg

Some of mine are behind a fence.
But I have others including my prize CCRs in the yard attached to fence post that were pounded into the ground before it froze. The ones for my mega tree are attached to the post with U bolts that need a long socket to remove.

But like everyone says most thieves would know what to do with them.

I would be more worried about vandalism.

mine are attached to wooden stands around the yard which that plan might change this year not really sure but here is an alternative idea

Attached files 303229=16642-LGP83CAYDW8LSCAZQAJ80CAN46M06CA1QL0KUCA36JAF5CASJY2LPCAUMQ7FZCAW2NBM7CAIC0QTMCAPQU51SCAHNLVX4CA4CJKXLCADKXXNKCAXVPG9TCA6T34LYCA3I55QZCADH1MWYCACRESKICA4E9ZBC.jpg

I hide mine in my display this year. If you stop my show video at the 2 sec. make you will see a red bow just right of center above the arch. This is a PVC frame I made & covered with frost cloth & a bow to look like a decoration. It really has 3 controllers under it. the other 2 I had in the yard where behind bushes & cover with black trash bags.

Mike

Guest Don Gillespie

I have a cable that I run through the controller (the same place where the cat5 goes through) and loop it around a tree so far so good still have all y controllers.

jgordon wrote:

I'm going to build a display in my church's front yard, and am trying to figure out how to keep the controllers from "walking away." Does anyone have any nifty ideas about securing things in a wide, open space? I'm using the plastic controller boxes, not the metal ones.

In my case, the controllers out in the yard for the landscape lighting which will be out there all year will be inside a brick column with a locked door. No one would know the controllers are there and have a hard time getting into them if they wanted to. If I do a Christmas show there will be a couple more controllers that will either be in the brick column or likely be held down to anchor points in concrete. That part is still to be determined.

I actually live in a good neighborhood so I really am not really all that worried, but I don't like having stuff stolen.:P

wbottomley wrote:

It's the extension cords I would worry about. They have a higher scrap price than a controller.

+1

how about having a sniper sit up in your tree in your yard and once some one steps foot on the property line blamo
or maby a mine field in your yard

or even rock mines

T110431 wrote:

how about having a sniper sit up in your tree in your yard and once some one steps foot on the property line blamo
or maby a mine field in your yard

I think I'd choose the sniper - too much chance of the mine damaging the display...