Light-O-Rama Forums

Sheesh....Even My Snowmen Eventually Fall Over!!!

jimswinder

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• shfr26

• Larry Leonhardt

• james campbell

They wouldnt last long in the blisteringly cold 74 degrees we had here today. Brrrr its cold here in Florida.

I miss the snow for the fun to play in, I dont miss the snow to get to work!

Looks like you had fun!

You know, my Niece just moved to Seattle Last Month.
. . . .something about the mild climate and all . . . . .
I hope she doesn't hate the snow as much as I do!

Usually I just make one snowman. Jim's snowmen have snowballed into many. Did you really make a snow woman? What is sticking up on top of snowman number one's head? I hope that's a hat.:(:shock::P

GoofyGuy wrote:

They wouldnt last long in the blisteringly cold 74 degrees we had here today. Brrrr its cold here in Florida.

I miss the snow for the fun to play in, I dont miss the snow to get to work!

Got to a whopping 77 in Orlando, or at least that's what both my vehicle and home digital thermometers came up with on Wednesday 01/18/2012.

Mark Showalter wrote:

Usually I just make one snowman. Jim's snowmen have snowballed into many. Did you really make a snow woman? What is sticking up on top of snowman number one's head? I hope that's a hat.:(:shock::P

That's why there are those other wee small snowfolk around!:shock:

Didn't you know snowpeople propagate through their head?:P

Mark Showalter wrote:

Usually I just make one snowman. Jim's snowmen have snowballed into many. Did you really make a snow woman?

**Yep...she keeps me company on these cold nights...**

What is sticking up on top of snowman number one's head? I hope that's a hat.:(:shock::P

**Nope..it was supposed to be some spiked hair...**

I have a sister who lives in the Seattle area. She says there are NO snow plows at all and that all the drivers are nuts in the snow. Having lived most of her life in Utah, she is used to the snow. It was a big storm for you!

jimswinder wrote:

Mark Showalter wrote:
Usually I just make one snowman. Jim's snowmen have snowballed into many. Did you really make a snow woman?

I've been dumped again...... sniff sniff. :(

CKSedg wrote:

I have a sister who lives in the Seattle area. She says there are NO snow plows at all and that all the drivers are nuts in the snow. Having lived most of her life in Utah, she is used to the snow. It was a big storm for you!
People who move to Seattle (not born and raised like myself) are IDIOTS!!

Just the mention of snow and they become unable to function...let alone go out and drive in a few inches of the white stuff... :(

LORi P wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
Mark Showalter wrote:

I've been dumped again...... sniff sniff. :(
not to worry...come to find out she is quite frigid... :(

I hope you built some nice sub-structure under those guys so they don't FALL DOWN.

HAHA! Wish i could play in the snow.

jimswinder wrote:

Just the mention of snow and they become unable to function...let alone go out and drive in a few inches of the white stuff... :P

Well I feel the same way about those that move to Florida! The difference is, NO SNOW, but they have no clue how to drive in a rainstorm! And they have no idea how to properly function or what to do in one of our gully washers.

Laws in Florida say: HEADLIGHTS ON and to SLOW DOWN! Not drive WITHOUT headlights and as fast as you can then slide into the other vehicles obeying the laws, causing MULTI-CAR crashes! And it happens all too often here. Or they think because the other drivers are obeying the rules/laws to slow down, by tailgating they're going to make us move faster? In all these scenarios, we have far too many IDIOTS here in Florida too.

Our roads are created with some kind of blacktop mix and when it becomes wet, it's almost like your ICY ROADS, not visible, and by the time you hit it, it's too late and you're in a slide that you may not be able to get out of before you hit another car, person, or building.

And the reason for the SLOW DOWN is because Florida roads FLOOD and they sometimes FLOOD to the point your car will be COMPLETELY SUBMERGED in some areas, your car WILL hydroplane and control of the vehilce when happening will be lost. There is no way you're going to control a vehicle hydroplaning on top of water when hit at too high a speed. hence why FLORIDA DRIVERS that were BORN AND RAISED HERE WILL SLOW DOWN as the law says. We know what and how our roads are designed and they aren't designed for 40-50mph speeds when it's raining (city/surface streets), despite what the speed limit sign states. I've been telling them for years they (Florida) needs to adopt a new speed limit sign for our roads:

SPEED LIMIT

Dry: 45

Rain/Wet: 30

Not that most IDIOTS will pay attention to that, but at least that gives law enforcement more of a reason to pull these doofuses over! Although they do pull folks over for and cite them for "driving too fast for conditions" and no headlights.

No lights on and YOU CAN'T BE SEEN in these dark gloomy rainstorms of ours! I got hit by one of those morons quite a few years back when I pulled out in front of them from a side street and got slammed into. Who do you think got cited for the accident? Well it wasn't me, since they DID NOT have their lights on they COULD NOT BE SEEN! So it was their fault. Oh, and by the way, Parking Lights don't count, and neither do DRL's (daytime running lights) because these DO NOT run with your taillights lit, so someone coming up behind you may not see you until it's too darn late!

But those drivers think their "nawthern driving" for their rainstorms is the same as ours, well it ain't!

So before people move to LIQUID SUNNY Florida as a permanent or even semi-permanent (winter) resident, they need to learn OUR WAYS/LAWS and adapt to them or stay the heck out of Florida! We don't need more wreckless drivers than we already have here.

Sorry this may be long-winded, but this is one of the biggest pet peeves I have with folks coming to Florida and being IGNORANT of the laws, which here, IS NO EXCUSE!

Orville wrote:

jimswinder wrote:

Just the mention of snow and they become unable to function...let alone go out and drive in a few inches of the white stuff... :P

Well I feel the same way about those that move to Florida! The difference is, NO SNOW, but they have no clue how to drive in a rainstorm! And they have no idea how to properly function or what to do in one of our gully washers.

Laws in Florida say: HEADLIGHTS ON and to SLOW DOWN! Not drive WITHOUT headlights and as fast as you can then slide into the other vehicles obeying the laws, causing MULTI-CAR crashes! And it happens all too often here. Or they think because the other drivers are obeying the rules/laws to slow down, by tailgating they're going to make us move faster? In all these scenarios, we have far too many IDIOTS here in Florida too.

Our roads are created with some kind of blacktop mix and when it becomes wet, it's almost like your ICY ROADS, not visible, and by the time you hit it, it's too late and you're in a slide that you may not be able to get out of before you hit another car, person, or building.

And the reason for the SLOW DOWN is because Florida roads FLOOD and they sometimes FLOOD to the point your car will be COMPLETELY SUBMERGED in some areas, your car WILL hydroplane and control of the vehilce when happening will be lost. There is no way you're going to control a vehicle hydroplaning on top of water when hit at too high a speed. hence why FLORIDA DRIVERS that were BORN AND RAISED HERE WILL SLOW DOWN as the law says. We know what and how our roads are designed and they aren't designed for 40-50mph speeds when it's raining (city/surface streets), despite what the speed limit sign states. I've been telling them for years they (Florida) needs to adopt a new speed limit sign for our roads:

SPEED LIMIT

Dry: 45

Rain/Wet: 30

Not that most IDIOTS will pay attention to that, but at least that gives law enforcement more of a reason to pull these doofuses over! Although they do pull folks over for and cite them for "driving too fast for conditions" and no headlights.

No lights on and YOU CAN'T BE SEEN in these dark gloomy rainstorms of ours! I got hit by one of those morons quite a few years back when I pulled out in front of them from a side street and got slammed into. Who do you think got cited for the accident? Well it wasn't me, since they DID NOT have their lights on they COULD NOT BE SEEN! So it was their fault. Oh, and by the way, Parking Lights don't count, and neither do DRL's (daytime running lights) because these DO NOT run with your taillights lit, so someone coming up behind you may not see you until it's too darn late!

But those drivers think their "nawthern driving" for their rainstorms is the same as ours, well it ain't!

So before people move to LIQUID SUNNY Florida as a permanent or even semi-permanent (winter) resident, they need to learn OUR WAYS/LAWS and adapt to them or stay the heck out of Florida! We don't need more wreckless drivers than we already have here.

Sorry this may be long-winded, but this is one of the biggest pet peeves I have with folks coming to Florida and being IGNORANT of the laws, which here, IS NO EXCUSE!

I've lived in a ton of different places, several big cities, and it is always the same: the natives think anyone who "aint from here" is an idiot driver.

Florida contains some of the worst drivers I've ever seen, natives or transplants.

Anyway, that said, can we get back to making fun of Jim's snowmen?

Orville wrote:

After several years on the fire department, I can tell you, it is not the blacktop mix. If you notice, the longer between rains, the worse it is. It is due to oil and other petroleum products building up on the road. when it rains they all come to the top of the road causing the slick condition. And by the way, I am going to lay off of picking on poor ole Jim for awhile.

shfr26 wrote:

And by the way, I am going to lay off of picking on poor ole Jim for awhile.

could you define "awhile"?

I want to know when I should come back to get a good laugh... :P

shfr26 wrote:

Orville wrote:

After several years on the fire department, I can tell you, it is not the blacktop mix. If you notice, the longer between rains, the worse it is. It is due to oil and other petroleum products building up on the road. when it rains they all come to the top of the road causing the slick condition. And by the way, I am going to lay off of picking on poor ole Jim for awhile.

I actually know that too. But we have been calling it black ice for years now. But the blacktop mix does contain some oils, and that is where some, but not all, of the problems come from.

At least that's what a few of the FDOT folks told me when I worked for them many years ago. That Florida uses some kind of oil based blacktop mix, which really isn't all that safe when it rains.

My question to them at the time: "Then why are you using it?"

I just got a look sort of like this: :?

BTW: I've worked alongside local law enforcement and fire department personal directing traffic when required or needed. Used to volunteer in a lot of community activities and got trained in how to direct traffic.