Light-O-Rama Forums

The S3 Experience at the 2012 Academy

Ryan Johnson

“The LOR classes were great but I really wanted to have a large block dedicated to just sequencing.”

“As someone new I would have liked to learn about sequencing from one of the experts.”

“Sequencing, sequencing, sequencing!”

All of those statements have come from our Academy feedback surveys over the past four years. We’ve approached Light-O-Rama classes from every possible vantage point when using volunteers as instructors. Long time users, professional sequencers, commercial providers… you name it and the Academy has tried it. But after four years we’re going to give people what they want: a full day of sequencing training (including comprehensive review of the newest software version, S3) presented by a recognized leader in Light-O-Rama training: Drew Hickman of Holiday Technologies.

Holiday Technologies attended the Academy in 2008 and supported the event through advertising sponsorship in 2009 and 2010 so they know what our event is all about. Drew brings an invaluable amount of real-world expertise to the course and has taught light display and animation courses at locations all across the United States. He has been in the light display business since 1996, creating the very first commercially available hardware (ChristmasCave*) and software (Dasher*) products for music-synchronized displays. Since that time Drew has worked on all types of displays, large and small, commercial and residential, and is a certified LOR instructor. He is sure to share some of his more interesting experiences of being in this business with his students.

The majority of class time will be spent teaching people how to use the Light-O-Rama (LOR) S3 software suite. Throughout the session Drew will share his real world experiences and teach shortcuts that will save countless hours of wasted time during the busy time of the decorating season. The course will focus on the sequence editor, building shows, and advanced training, tips and tricks for increasing the speed and quality of your programming.

So there you have it, the sequencing solution you’ve asked for. However this is an addition to the Academy, utilizing a professional instructor and because of that it requires a higher registration cost. Your $60 Academy registration isn’t increasing but if you want to attend “The S3 Experience” it will cost an additional $150.

Two things to keep in mind with this cost:

1. The $150 cost is a reduction from Holiday Technologies regular pricing. Drew is attending the Academy, and has worked to develop this custom course, because he believes in the event and the people who attend it. We appreciate and respect the fact that this is a business for Holiday Technologies and we ask that our attendees (and potential attendees) do the same.
  2. This course requires 12 people to be registered and paid in full by no later than February 29, 2012. If we do not have those numbers there is a possibility that the course will be cancelled (refunds in full will be issued if that occurs, but we believe this will not be necessary).

Materials: A comprehensive manual is available for sale for $50 (you will see it in the LSH Shopzone). This manual will cover far more than just the information from the course. Academy attendees who do not register for “The S3 Experience” may also purchase the manual. Delivery of manuals will occur on Day 3 of the Academy.

Hours: 9am-4:30pm on Day 3 (June 17th). The class will break during the lunch period.

What to bring: Attendees must bring a computer with them that has the Light-O-Rama S3 software already installed.

So if you have been looking for the best in Light-O-Rama sequence training this is your opportunity. Head over to the LSH Shopzone and you will see the regular Academy registration for $60 or the Registration WITH the S3 Experience for $210 ($60 + $150)- be sure to select the correct item before checking out (and for those of you who have already registered and would like to have the S3 Experience add-on you will receive information via email on how to handle this).

[align=center]The S3 Experience: Just another aspect that
makes the 2012 Academy "Citius, Altius, Fortius".[/align]

[align=center]Click the image below to register today![/align]

[align=center]LOR_Buddy_W_4-211x300.jpg[/align]

scubado wrote:

Am I understanding this right? If I order a manual, it is pre-order plus there's no shipping?

I believe you are understanding it correctly (unless I'm reading your post wrong or misinterpreting the tone of it):

In all cases (not just the Academy but ALL of the Holiday Technologies trainings) Drew has to prepare the manuals for those people attending ahead of tiem. So yes, they're pre-order so he has a count of how many to prepare. Because he will be there teaching the S3 Experience he is offering the books to folks who attend the Academy as a stand-alone item. The caveat is that these will be delivered at the Academy and will not be shipped (unless you make arrangements with someone who might be there to do you the favor).

I understand the first part, but why not ship after class is over? I definately can't make it to the academy and the actual sequencing is my least favorite part of this hobby, buying the manual may be worth it to me.

scubado wrote:

I understand the first part, but why not ship after class is over? I definately can't make it to the academy and the actual sequencing is my least favorite part of this hobby, buying the manual may be worth it to me.

Totally understand what you mean but this isn't something we have an option on. I don't believe Drew offers the book as a standalone item because typically his trainings are the only piece of his gatherings. Because it's a part of the Academy he is offering it to those that will be there as long as he knows how many he needs to have.

pyromill wrote:

call me crazy but... if this was in my email inbox it would have been detected as spam mail why not here?

The Academy has been going on for 4 years now, including some of the regular Christmas vendors and attendees (including the LOR crew in 2008). It's no different than the myriad of other events that are posted about on the LOR forums.
Also, Drew and Holiday Technologies are the official trainer for Light-o-Rama so it is more than appropriate for this to be offered to the members of the forum.

So yes, you're crazy! :P

Are you planning on coming up to St. Louis with this Academy? Otherwise I would not be able to attend. Thus selling the book to those of us who cant travel that kind of distance makes sense.

Max-Paul wrote:

Are you planning on coming up to St. Louis with this Academy? Otherwise I would not be able to attend. Thus selling the book to those of us who cant travel that kind of distance makes sense.

WE (Lone Star Holidays) are not selling the book or the class. This is a LOR training session put on by Holiday Technologies, just like they do anywhere else. The only difference is that this was customized to partner with the Academy schedules and allow those attendees to add it on to their plans if they choose to do so. It's a more economical option for people but is also reduced in the time and scope.

The announcement was posted for those who wish to/can attend the Academy and my be interested in the S3 Experience. If a person cannot attend- due to schedules, travel, expense or otherwise- then they will not be able to take advantage of this, including the manual. To the best of my knowledge the manual is not offered as a stand-alone product by Holiday Technologies.

The Academy is held in Texas and is not something that travels. So no to St Louis. However, if you want to plan for a Holiday TEchnologies LOR training in ANY area you should head over to http://www.holidaytechnologies.com/products/training.asp and see if you can get the ball rolling in your geographic area. I know that Drew will come to you provided you have the minimum number of people registered.

Hopefully you can attend in the future as we have many, many, many out of state folks come down each year.

Max-Paul wrote:

Thanks for your informative reply rmjohn99. Maybe one year I can come down.

Man we would love to have you. Come on down anytime!

From the Lone Star website there is this paragraph about the S3 Experience manual

Whether you are attending the full day "S3 Experience" with Drew Hickman or not, this extensive manual will offer you so much in terms of your knowledge of Light-O-Rama. While the class can only focus on sequencing (due to time) this manual will include all aspects of the LOR software. If you are not attending the class this book can still be purchased!

Then further down on the "more info" tab it says this

Cost is $50 (+ tax) and will be delivered on the third day of the Academy. These are NOT available for shipping and may not be available without pre-order right here on the LSH Shopzone. Don't miss out- order yours today!

Which is correct? I cannot attend the training but I would like to have the manual.

olmsb4d2 wrote:

From the Lone Star website there is this paragraph about the S3 Experience manual

Whether you are attending the full day "S3 Experience" with Drew Hickman or not, this extensive manual will offer you so much in terms of your knowledge of Light-O-Rama. While the class can only focus on sequencing (due to time) this manual will include all aspects of the LOR software. If you are not attending the class this book can still be purchased!

Then further down on the "more info" tab it says this

Cost is $50 (+ tax) and will be delivered on the third day of the Academy. These are NOT available for shipping and may not be available without pre-order right here on the LSH Shopzone. Don't miss out- order yours today!

Which is correct? I cannot attend the training but I would like to have the manual.

If you are attending the event (the Academy) you may purchase the manual and it will be delivered on day 3. You do not need to atend the class, as it says in your underlined bolded section above.

The LOR manual is not available as a stand-alone item by Holiday Technologies. This is no different than the regular training sessions that Drew hosts. It is a courtesy for the Academy attendees that he is offering this.

Okay...got it. I was momentarily confused, which happens all the time, but I think I got it.

PS....The confusion may be due in part to the website stating that it ships USPS in 5 to 7 days...and then there's always that part about me being easy to confuse.

Hmmm... the LSH Shopzone shows a shipping option? I just went and looked and didn't see that anywhere (for that item). Can you tell me where you saw that so I can have the Webmaster take a look.

Thanks!

It only shows up in when you go to check out. I was thinking of purchasing the manual and added it to my cart. In the check out process it shows that it ships USPS in 5 to 7 days.

olmsb4d2 wrote:

It only shows up in when you go to check out. I was thinking of purchasing the manual and added it to my cart. In the check out process it shows that it ships USPS in 5 to 7 days.

Thanks- I'll send that to the webmaster so he can get a look at it.

And don't forget, Texas is beautiful in June! :P

rmjohn99 wrote:

Now see you're confused. You probably meant to say Colorado is beautful in June or any month for that matter....or perhaps you meant Texas is tolerable in June.

olmsb4d2 wrote:

rmjohn99 wrote:

Now see you're confused. You probably meant to say Colorado is beautful in June or any month for that matter....or perhaps you meant Texas is tolerable in June.

You're only in Colorado?? That's around the corner! No more excuses- see you in June (actually ALL of the S3 Experience regsitrations that have come through are from out-of-state folks, which is suprising but very cool!).

I did get a word back from the Webmaster: apparently the shipping option shows up for all products and we can't turn it off for some and not others. Because we do shirts and such it does require some shipping options. That's why it shows up as "Free!" when you add the S3 manual to your cart- by giving the items a zero in the weight field they show as free because they technically don't weigh anything. That's a convoluted answer but does that make sense?

Has anyone approached Drew about doing a video taping of his class at the Academy and maybe offering that to the folks who can't attend after the academy is over?
Or is he possibly going to do a "video seminar" for S3 and the new things for the rest of us?
Seems like a fair way for those of us who can't attend to be able to get some training as well as for Drew to get compensation for his teaching the course.
Seems like a win-win to me.

I would certainly want to be able to buy any form of training video that would be available since S3 and the CCR sequencing is making things more complex.
As the software gets updated and new technology comes into play in this "hobby" of ours, I can see the need for more training to be available. Not everyone can pick this stuff up right away or are "book learners". I am one who needs to see things done to be able to understand them. I have slight dislexia and book reading is a very tough thing for me.
Just asking the question to see if there are other avenues that might be considered.
Thanks