Light-O-Rama Forums

diving in to dmx

NINtender

I have to lor controllers, still running s2, and am looking to creat rgb mini trees.
I like the stuff I've seen at holidaycoro, and want to use his test kit to experiment...
without touching the lor network, what do I need?
I see that I can used another usb converter, and a custom wired dongle. I'm trying to keep a budget.
Also, will s3 advance make coding rgb easier?
i've explored so many forums, but always gravitate back to lor for help!
my modest goal for 2012 is 16 rgb mini trees, and 20 corostars.

Get the sample kit from Holiday coro. Also download xlights to use to test lights, it works great and it is free. I had some problem and Dave helped me out big time. add me as a frind and I will walk you thru any problem you might have with it.

Yes, S3 is the way to go with DMX. I was going to use xLights to run my show. Lucky for me S3 came out before Christmas. Buy it! As for Coro mini trees. Dave is a nice guy, he has great ideas. But you can buy your own coro and make everything yourself.

KenL_MCSE wrote:

Yes, S3 is the way to go with DMX. I was going to use xLights to run my show. Lucky for me S3 came out before Christmas. Buy it! As for Coro mini trees. Dave is a nice guy, he has great ideas. But you can buy your own coro and make everything yourself.

Yeah, the trees sound convenient, and using led blocks diffused by coro will definitely be cheaper than rgb dumb strands, though I'd like to do that for a megatree. but with all the changes I plan this year, I think I may have busted my budget on everything else!
Good to hear your RGB experience with S3 is going well. Love the support here, both from LOR and the community.

• 4 weeks later...

KenL_MCSE wrote:

I'll second the xLights - ran my LOR sequences on E131 hardware just fine.

You are completely correct - of course it's still easier to walk into a dealership and purchase a car than building it from iron ore you'd mined yourself. :) Of course the reverse side scribing and the percision of machine accurate to .005" makes sure they are as good as possible. We also try our best to price them very reasonable for the amount of effort that goes into them.

• The topic was locked