Thanks to all, even the ragers...

Chagoi

Well, I started on this venture in Oct 1st 2011 going from 2 Mr. Christmas boxes synched up then onto LOR. I read everything in this forum for the past year or so, watched hundreds of video, played with a ton of sequences, I learned a ton, I posted a little, but most of all I enjoyed doing a show with my boys this year. No problems with the show (after the memory leak issue) and was able to find any and all answers here on this forum. So thanks to those who provide this forum.

I digress...

I know there has been a lot of shenanigans going on in the forums lately, but to me, it is all entertaining. So here is a thank you to all the passionate voices here in the LOR forums who have taught me about some history, perceptions, ideals, and ideas in relation to this hobby. It is all good info any way you slice it.

Happy 2012 and remember, people don't call us crazy for nothing...

Surfing4Dough

Good job on a successful year! I think your attitude ("most of all I enjoyed doing a show with my boys" and "it is all entertaining") and approach ("read everything in this forum for the past year or so, watched hundreds of video, played with a ton of sequences, I learned a ton") are the main reasons you had such a satisfying year. When people new to this hobby don't approach it that way, it becomes frustrating for everybody (them and many here). Now that you have a year under your belt, be sure to contribute even more where you can on the forums--I think you have learned a lot that you can share.

Any videos from this year?

Chagoi wrote:

I read everything in this forum for the past year or so, watched hundreds of video, played with a ton of sequences, I learned a ton, I posted a little, but most of all I enjoyed doing a show with my boys this year. No problems with the show (after the memory leak issue) and was able to find any and all answers here on this forum. So thanks to those who provide this forum.

Great job on reading the forum and watching videos. That was my approach as well and I did not have any issues either. There is so much information on here and the videos out there are a great way to see what others have done and help you to decide on what to do.

Getting your boys involved is awesome. I can't wait for mine to be old enough to help out. I should be able to get a few years outta them, before they start hating me...lol

Rick Childers

This is my 5th year using LOR controllers, but it is the first year I have been able to do it synchronized to music. These forums have been a huge help. Congratualations on getting it going this year. I am looking forward to the next 11 months of preparation :)

I too think Congrats are in order.

I'm like you and took the same approach this year. started early and read every thing i could. I even had a mega tree, mini trees and other displays build last year in my static display before trying LOR.

Good luck.

WhitePlainsNY

"Measure twice, cut once"...

"Read the manual, read the forums, start sequencing" ...it's just not that sexy sounding! Still it helped me a lot too when I started this obsession. My continued thanks to everyone who posts suggestions and ideas to the benefit of all of us.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Good job on a successful year! I think your attitude ("most of all I enjoyed doing a show with my boys" and "it is all entertaining") and approach ("read everything in this forum for the past year or so, watched hundreds of video, played with a ton of sequences, I learned a ton") are the main reasons you had such a satisfying year. When people new to this hobby don't approach it that way, it becomes frustrating for everybody (them and many here). Now that you have a year under your belt, be sure to contribute even more where you can on the forums--I think you have learned a lot that you can share.

Any videos from this year?

No videos. I do it for my 3 boys and they are here to watch it in person. I was going to come see yours but never made it this year. I am about 30 min or so from you. Maybe next year.

David Rise wrote:

Chagoi wrote:
I read everything in this forum for the past year or so, watched hundreds of video, played with a ton of sequences, I learned a ton, I posted a little, but most of all I enjoyed doing a show with my boys this year. No problems with the show (after the memory leak issue) and was able to find any and all answers here on this forum. So thanks to those who provide this forum.

Great job on reading the forum and watching videos. That was my approach as well and I did not have any issues either. There is so much information on here and the videos out there are a great way to see what others have done and help you to decide on what to do.

Getting your boys involved is awesome. I can't wait for mine to be old enough to help out. I should be able to get a few years outta them, before they start hating me...lol

My 14 yr old did 4 or 5 songs and my 10 yr old did 1. It was very fun. They just hate the tear down, but who doesn't?

I think the shenanigans mentioned by OP are cyclic in nature. The forums during and just after Christmas are like being in a locker room after a hard fought game, and can be emotional (some from the winning and some from the losing locker room).
It can get "entertaining" as the sales approach also.
I've embarrassed myself a few times in forums, but I now blame it all on PMS (Post Music-Lightshow Syndrome)