Light-O-Rama Forums

German Pickle

Larry Leonhardt

My son went on vacation this week, to Disnely Land, he call me today and he ask me " Dad do you know where i am ? I said no, He said i'm in Germany, do we have a pickle for the Christmas Tree, I said no. Come to find out he was still in Disnely Land, but they have a part thats is German. So he's getting use a Pickle for the tree...

Attached files 301602=16592-pickle.jpg

We have 2. The kids get a thrill chistmas morning when they have to find it on the tree, they then get the special gift from santa. been doing it about 4 years now.

Every time this topic comes up it makes me chuckle. I have dozens of friends in a lot of different parts of Germany and I have asked all of them about the German pickle tradition. Not one of them has ever heard of it and most accused me of making it up. This got me interested in this "pickle myth" so I looked around the web. Here is a good link that looks at the German Pickle. http://german.about.com/library/blgermyth11.htm

The other one that makes me chuckle is from time to time on this forum I read about the potato left on the lawn.... stop, my sides are hurting!