Light-O-Rama Forums

Ramsey 100B

Ralph A

I am getting a buzz from my Ramsey FM100B. It is 4 years old and I've only used it for my Christmas shows each year. I disconnected all inputs and out (used telescoping ant) and just listened to it's own transmission and it is pretty noticeable. I put up with it through the show but want to get it fixed. Has anyone had this happen to them or have any ideas as to what it may be?

Someone stated it may be the power supply. How would I test that?

Thanks Ralph

Unlike the 30B, the 100 has a built in power supply...

I suppose that one or more caps in the power supply may be getting weak. Probably one of the electrolytics...

I suppose that one or more caps in the power supply may be getting weak. Probably one of the electrolytics...

-klb- wrote:

Hi Ralph:

While I agree with the above, I would recommend you trying 2 quick tests:

1) If the 100B's plug is not polarized (I can't remember if mine is or is not and I am not at home) you can reverse it in the outlet to see if the hum changes. If it is polarized you can get a 3 plug to 2 plug adapter from any hardware store, and cut back on the polarized pin on that, to allow you to try this reversal.

2) You can get an inexpensive choke from R Shack, that is designed to be opened, to allow you to wrap wire that has a plug on it's end. Wrap 6 or 7 turns of wire through the choke (you are in essence making a common mode power line choke), snap it together, and then retest to see if you still have the hum.

If the hum persists despite both of these, it's internal to the unit, most likely a failed cap. Ramsey has a good repair crew at their plant in Rochester, NY. They don't charge an arm and a leg.

Greg

I have had a Ramsey for two years and I noticed it started humming this year. I adjusted the choke a little father from the plug and it worked great.

Thanks, klb, Melvin and Greg. I know nothing about this type of radio.

Greg I will run the tests above and let you know how it turns out. Thanks for your help!!!

Ralph

The sound was very clear on my radio. When I left your house I stopped on 34th to buy gas before going home. It was still clear. I decided to see how far I could drive and still here your music. I could hear it all the way to 47th and Quaker. Of course it wasn't as clear by then but by that time I was 11 blocks away from your display!:P

Thanks Linda! Good to know. (also P.M. sent)

Greg, I switched the polarity by way of the adapter and I got rid of 50% of the buzz. I will by a choke tomorrow and see if I can get rid of the rest. Don't want to start off next year with a bad buzz in my radio transmission.

Thanks, great advise.

Wait a minute, I don't mean to flip the subject. But I just saw something that is worth repeating;

"Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes."

That is a great sig!