Light-O-Rama Forums

it happened to me today

james campbell

my son and I were putting the trash down to the street,and someone stopped and told us how she thoroughly enjoyed our lights this year.I said thank you thats means alot. she said that she had never seen lights done that way before then she said she stopped several times and once her kids who live out town got to see them. before she left she said hope your doing them again this year,we said oh yeah bigger and better:D even though I did not get many visitors that made it worth it

That kind of stuff always does the heart good, make you want to push on to next year. Great job, and might I say.... keep up the good work.

james campbell wrote:

we said oh yeah bigger and better:D even though I did not get many visitors that made it worth it

if it takes more than one to make it worth it,

you'll never be satisfied...

I Felt the same way. didn't seem like i had many people stop and watch but had many tell me they came bye and loved it.

Good Luck on this years "alot of planning to be done"

Had a few people comment that they enjoyed the lights while tearing the lights down. Some young girls from down the street were very polite and said they enjoyed the lights. I introduced them to my girls and they were quick friends. I'm not a terrible social person so I like to think the lights help us connect with our neighbors a little better.

Some of my neighbors were concerned after our traffic nightmare from our first show in 2010. One of them came by and said they had been talking and thought we did a great job keeping things under control this year.

Certainly a feel good moment.

I was out fixing a printer and one of the ladies in the office recognized me and told the whole office that I was the guy that did the crazy Christmas lights.

LOL....too funny.

David Rise wrote:

I was out fixing a printer and one of the ladies in the office recognized me and told the whole office that I was the guy that did the crazy Christmas lights.

LOL....too funny.

I want to be recognized as that guy to

Great story, Jim. It only takes one of these to make it worthwhile. Keep up the good work. It's getting noticed.

james campbell wrote:

David Rise wrote:

LOL....too funny.

We got a Christmas card a few years ago (before we had a computerized display) and it was addressed to [glow=yellow]Santa's House[/glow] telling us much she enjoyed seeing our display every day as she came home from work. That's how the name for our display came about. This year was our first year to do a computerized Halloween display. I found a six foot coffin with a corpse inside so cheap I couldn't pass it up knowing I didn't have room to store it after Halloween. I listed it on Craig's list after Halloween. It was still in the front yard when we started putting up the Christmas display. I finally sold it and when the people came to pick it up the wife told me that she had heard about our Halloween display from some of her neighbors. When they told her where our display was she told her husband she bet that was the [glow=yellow]Christmas House[/glow].We don't get to hear all the feedback our displays are getting in our community, so who knows, you may be known as "that guy" but just don't know it yet! :P

Linda wrote:

james campbell wrote:
David Rise wrote:

LOL....too funny.

We got a Christmas card a few years ago (before we had a computerized display) and it was addressed to
Santa's House
telling us much she enjoyed seeing our display every day as she came home from work. That's how the name for our display came about. This year was our first year to do a computerized Halloween display. I found a six foot coffin with a corpse inside so cheap I couldn't pass it up knowing I didn't have room to store it after Halloween. I listed it on Craig's list after Halloween. It was still in the front yard when we started putting up the Christmas display. I finally sold it and when the people came to pick it up the wife told me that she had heard about our Halloween display from some of her neighbors. When they told her where our display was she told her husband she bet that was the
Christmas House
.We don't get to hear all the feedback our displays are getting in our community, so who knows, you may be known as "that guy" but just don't know it yet! :)

That's awesome Linda!

You're right. I had plenty of folks tell me how much they enjoyed the show, whenever I would go outside. The office errupted when she told everyone. You just never know if you're the crazy Christmas light guy or not.

I think all of us are that person. Even if you don't hear anyone say it. Anyone that has seen your lights dance to music is thinking it.

Awesome!

One of my favorite things this year was listening to conversations of passer by's as they stopped to enjoy the lights. I might have been working in the display, or across the street taking video, so I overheard a lot.

Out of the mouth of babes is the funniest stuff, but I do remember one kid in particular going crazy over the lights, and the Dad explaining to the kids that I must be an engineer to do all of this, and I had to go to college for several years.

My background: Not an engineer, barely any college. Just have the motivation, and a great forum here to learn and get information that helps make it all possible.

Where there is a will, there is a way!

One of the ones I hear and am asked most often is:

I'll bet they work for Disney and does a lot of their show lighting.:shock:

Not hardly!

I know my current skills (although they are improving) definitely would not be considered Disney material!:)

shakeonit wrote:

and the Dad explaining to the kids that I must be an engineer to do all of this, and I had to go to college for several years.

yep...the top two questions asked of me...

1) Your electric bill must be crazy!! (nope..use 100% LEDS...)
2) This must be HARD to do..you must be an engineer (nope..not hard (just time consuming)...nope..not an Engineer)

This my 4th year using LOR with just over 10k lights. I came home from work last week and found this in our mail box....

Attached files 301754=16598-thank you card.JPG

jimswinder wrote:

2) This must be HARD to do..you must be an engineer (nope..not hard (just time consuming)...nope..not an Engineer)

At least not a structural engineer:P I figure one of the top ten's gotta be where are the hard hats!:)

bretk wrote:

jimswinder wrote:

At least not a structural engineer:P I figure one of the top ten's gotta be where are the hard hats!:D

I did hear that Jim's Grand Pappy was a world famous bridge enginner. He designed the Tacoma Narrows Bridge AKA Galloping Gertie. :):P:D:D

Okay..that does it!!!!

No Mega Tree, No CCR Tree....not even ANY Mini Tress next year or ANYTHING else that might topple over!!!! :P

jimswinder wrote:

Okay..that does it!!!!

No Mega Tree, No CCR Tree....not even ANY Mini Tress next year or ANYTHING else that might topple over!!!! :P

Jim, Then what would we have to ROFLMAO about??? You really are a good sport about all of this tho