Light-O-Rama Forums

Question on ICAN RGB lights

asetti

I am new to this, and am working on my first display for XMas 2012!

If I have these lights:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202535088/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Can I controll the RGB on them?

If so, can I acitivate the different bulbs Red one/green one/blue ones with the same control channel? So set it up so the Red Lights come on at a different time for x amount of time then move to blue, than have all three light up together?

Thanks!

asetti wrote:

I am new to this, and am working on my first display for XMas 2012!

If I have these lights:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202535088/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Can I controll the RGB on them?

If so, can I acitivate the different bulbs Red one/green one/blue ones with the same control channel? So set it up so the Red Lights come on at a different time for x amount of time then move to blue, than have all three light up together?

Thanks!
Not the way this stuff works, that strand would be plugged into on outlet/channel off of the controller. You can turn on and off the entire strand (or other effects) but YOU CAN'T control individual bulbs.

On another note, on this message board ICAN and RGB are two different things. ICAN are the old minilights as well as regular bulb lights, it is an abbreviation we use for Incandescent lights of all varieties. RGB are usually RGB "strips" with individual LED lights on the strip, some can be controlled individually while others may not. depends on the item.

Your best method of making (inexpensive) RGB strings is to weave a red, green and blue (or white, or all four) strings together.. these are called SuperStrings.. I have them on all my props.. My MegaTree has 16 strings of these (RGBW, 6400 lights) and all 16 of my MiniTrees are made up this way too, but just two strings of RGB (600 lights each).. You can make up color-changable arches too, wrapping superstrings on 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" sleeves and sliding them over a 1/2" or 3/4" pvc support pipe. Superstrings can be put on everything you'd want to be able to change the color of.. Lawn lights, roof lines, house outlines.. just about anything. Oh, and LOTS less expensive than CCR's.

When we talk about RGB we are generally speaking of a light that is capable of making any color desirable by mixing different levels of Red, Green and Blue.

For this to work, the actual Red, Green and Blue light sources need to be very close together. They also have to compliment each other in the amount of lumens (brightness) they can put out. Simply put, they need to be the same brightness at full power so that you get a clean "white" without a tinge of any individual color that makes it up.

Folks have tried to do this with incandescents in the past, but it's very hard to do, mostly because of the matching brightness issue.

So if you want lights that can do any color, these days you're talking about LED units that have the Red, Green and Blue emitters all on the same surface, within a few millimeters of each other.