Light-O-Rama Forums

Disco Balls

shempster

Disco balls are cheap and work well indoors; maybe not so good outdoors.

Instead, think about flexible mirror materials like what's wrapped around disco balls; it doesn't move, so there's no motor to get messed up and you can bounce lights off it easily.

Usually comes in sheets of 12"x12" and sometimes available at craft stores. Also check DJ supply houses like Guitar Center.

Cheap alternative.

I have started to play with the tri LED spherion with LOR. I have had great success but havent used it outside yet.

That's what makes a "Light Flurries" work. :P They take a small mirror ball on an almost horizontal axis and rotate it slow. The reflected spot looks like snow coming down.

I started building a larger scale unit myself, got the 18" mirror ball, built the center shaft for it on bearings and ran into a wall of coming up with a gear reduction motor unit that would deal with sub zero weather conditions.

Since the ball has to be exposed to the elements (a shield would cause a lot of light loss and refracted light) I was also worried about ice buildup on it making it out of round. That would wear on the mech badly.

So even if you're considering putting a mirror ball in a normal vertical position, you still have to take the weather into consideration. (unless of course you're in So-Cal, Florida or Texas :P

shempster wrote:

Anyone have any experience with disco balls?

I have a Light Flurries - ask disco ball on it's side to make it look like snow is falling on the house. I need to find a light that is super bright to shine on the mirrors. The 35watt mr16 that came with is not bright enough. I doubt anyone even knew I had it running.