Light-O-Rama Forums

put a helmet on

Jim Saul

Jim Saul wrote:

or that I've been friends with the guys from GoFish since I met therm with Hannity, Bachmann, Palin at a rally, then I'm ok with being kicked out.
I'm too old to be PC or to care if that offends you.

I'm so jeolous! I love Hannity and Palin! Palin was awesome when she was here in Madison.

Sorry, back to LOR related stuff.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• George Simmons

• TitusCarnathan

• friskybri

• l0chte

Jim Saul wrote:

I'm at a continuing Ed class for my electrical license on my phone, so I will answer this and the pms tonight or tomorrow.
Quickly, I don't care if you are a Christian or a pagan, that was never my isse. if you have respect and need help, I'll help you, but if this forum is turning so pc that i can't tell you that i have a Jesus song in my display or that I've been friends with the guys from GoFish since I met therm with Hannity, Bachmann, Palin at a rally, then I'm ok with being kicked out.
I'm too old to be PC or to care if that offends you.

Totally agree with you on this Jim!

I could care less what faith a person is, what their belief system is or anything else, if they need help and I can do so, I will. Sometimes I may get something a little disjointed and hopefully when that happens, the experts here will jump in and correct my blunder.

Heck, I've had my share of run ins here too, but most often, those issues have many times ended in PM's with apologies, sometimes from their side, sometimes from me and many times from both sides. Then we continue on with other posts and threads, sometimes we do get a little carried away, just human nature.

The written word is just so volatile to misinterpretation from what or how an original poster may have stated it, to the original poster it sounded and looked fine, but to others, it was "them thar's fight'n words!" LOL

Sometimes it just happens, but usually everyone eventually calms down and we go on with our usual discussions.

Unfortunately the influx of the new folks here, that had no idea of how all this really works,came in thinking it's more of a "plug and play" hobby, which those of us that have a year or longer experience know it isn't, and that could very well be where the pot got so stirred up that Dan had no choice but to take action. As we never seemed to have any of these issues until late 2011, when the large influx of new folks to this started.

Yes, I saw some answers I thought were a little harsh to the new folks, and some seemed to take high offense when they were asked: "Did or Have you read the manual? or Help Files?", but when folks got answers like: "I don't have time to read the manual/help files", and then folks ended up telling them they were in the wrong hobby, because it requires a lot of reading of manuals and other criterian, patience and time, it can't be done in a few minutes, hours or a couple of days time.

That IS NOT bullying, nor was it rude or condescending.

After all, if you can't be bothered with reading what needs to be read, many of us couldn't help them because they still would not understand it, then they get even more frustrated (which is what I believe part of the problem to all this mess is) and complain to the folks at LOR they weren't getting the proper help, but if they had at least read the manual, they'd have been able to understand the answers some folks tried to pass on to them. Now I'm not saying all the new folks did this, but there did seem to be quite a few.

I'm not saying this to be mean, rude or anything derogatory to anyone here, but many of us that tried to help those folks, we were also getting flustered because we couldn't get the proper point across to them due to they "didn't have time to read the manual or help files" per THEIR OWN replies back to those that tried to help them.

And I saw that several times over the past few months.

Unfortunately that did get quite a few of the, I'll call them "experts" here a bit annoyed or upset, and I really, to be quite honest, can't say I blame them in that respect. Maybe they could have worded their response a little differently than they did, but once a person gets truly aggravated, it's kind of hard not to "blow off some steam".

Just my $5.00 worth.

NOTE: If there are any typo's, grammar, punctuation, or any other errors in this post, please overlook them. Can't always catch them on the proof-read...but I try!

Maybe Dan should consider stocking the Mr. Christmas products for people who don't have the time to read manuals. It would be a lot less expensive than the gear we all use and would save a lot of people a lot of grief.

scubado wrote:

I'm so jeolous! I love Hannity and Palin! Palin was awesome when she was here in Madison.

Looks like someone new is about to join the PM from Admin club...

George Simmons wrote:

Maybe Dan should consider stocking the Mr. Christmas products for people who don't have the time to read manuals. It would be a lot less expensive than the gear we all use and would save a lot of people a lot of grief.

ROFLMAO! Good one George!

Guest Don Gillespie

George Simmons wrote:

I just cleaned my garage and found a mr christmas any one want to buy it :)

I am posting this in a number of threads as they all have to do with the same thing.

The new posting rules are not all that restrictive. They only ask that people treat one another with respect. That it is not appropriate to call someone an idiot, or say they must be blind if they did not see in in the manual, or that they are stupid if they did not understand something.

Some people may say it is just a person's sense of humor but it is not funny to call someone stupid or an idiot!

As far as people asking questions that have already been answered in manuals or in the forums, that is going to happen and will continue.

I would like to keep this forum focused on decorating and keep extremely volatile subjects such as politics and religion out of the discussions. Yes Christmas is a religious holiday and to ignore that would be silly. You will notice we did not have Happy Holidays on our main website we had Merry Christmas so we are not all that Politically Correct around here. I am not overly concerned about religion in threads but I am concerned about politics.

As far as government there are also times with it can and should be brought into discussions such as zoning rules with regards to decorating, etc. BUT this is not the place to attack or advance any political party or political fraction.

As is says in the coffee shop this is a forum to discuss decorating not the time of day. We have allowed people to have fun and will continue to do so but the thing that all people in this forum have in common is decorating and thus the topics should reflect that.

We made some changes such as removing the edit function on posts as I wanted people to think twice before they post. I removed the beta tester designation on users for a while. This is partly because of the fact that some people have accused me of allowing employees of LOR to treat customers poorly. Those people do not understand that the Beta Testers are also LOR customers. This will get fixed.

Members of all levels, (members, beta testers, partners, admins... ) have been accused of being being harsh with customers but the complaints that I have personally received have (members and beta testers) mentioned most often.

For those that are upset about this, here is what I am asking:

1. We start fresh starting now. No history, no mention of past deeds be those deeds be real or misunderstood.

2. We treat each other with respect. No more (stupid, blind, idiot, etc... ) comments.

3. (like #1) No Member, LOR Admin or moderator treat any thread based on any thread or post prior to now. Each post is judged on its own content.

----

This is simple and it is fair. We are starting fresh today. We are starting with no previous context. There is nothing to argue about, nothing to disagree about, no history.

Everyone needs to take a deep breath, decide that if what they really want is either to help people or get help with LOR and/or help decorating. This is a place where that should happen.

What is done is done and it restarts now.

As always Dan, you stated it the best of anyones ability! I agree, lets all start over and be happy! Thanks Dan, your company is the best!

ItsMeBobO wrote:

Orville wrote:
ROFLMAO!   Good one George!

A one line post Orville! :)

I thought the same thing! Ha

My take on this whole box of worms (which has turned soggy and nasty) is we have taken this the wrong way, however you want to look at it.

Dan isn't saying we can't say 'Merry Christmas' or 'Pray for our troops'. He isn't even saying that we can't have an opinion, then what would be the point of this forum anyway?

He's just saying that this is not the place to discuss dedicated political topics or topics promoting religion knowing full and well that they will cause a heated debate.

This forum is about lighting. That is what we all have in common here and that's what Dan want's us to keep our topics 'based' on, that's all.
I really can't remember a time that it has ever been a problem but Dan needs to cover his bases.

Volatile subjects that have nothing to do with Christmas lights and equipment should have no place here, We should know better anyways.

As far as bullying goes, just say ok and move on.

No one is perfect here and we all make mistakes, isn't that how we've learned some our lessons and gained knowledge?
Someone shouldn't be deemed an 'idiot' just because they don't know the same things that you know or have the same length of experience that you may have.
Would that make you an 'idiot' because you might not know the same things I do? Or have had the same experiences that I've had? No, it just means that we all have different levels of knowledge in different areas and that when we ask a question we're looking for help.
So if someone asks a question that would seem rather basic and quite frankly stupid, be thankful that you have the ability and experience to be able to answer that question.

And if it's a question that you've heard several times before who's to say that you haven't learned something else about the topic since the first time the question brought up.
What's to say your answer is even right in the first place?
After all, most is opinion on what we've taught ourselves anyways isn't it?

Let's keep this in perspective, for most of us this is just an extreme hobby. Not college course, not a job, not a popularity contest, not a spelling bee or an intellectual drubbing match.
Just lights.
So let's just try to show some quality character, help others out and move on.

Guest wbottomley

I think the best thing to do is quit analyzing what Dan has asked and move on. Each an every time this subject is brought up or even mentioned, some get really pissed.

The best bet... let's move on.

And... since we're moving on, you can always find my help on my website. I have many things that might interest some folks.

1) How To: http://www.highcountrylights.com/how-do-we-do-it.html

2) Free Sequences & Audio: http://www.highcountrylights.com/remository.html

3) Free Sequences Links: http://www.highcountrylights.com/links/free-sequences.html

4) Pre-paid Sequences or services: http://www.highcountrylights.com/links/39-fee-based-sequences.html

As far as support questions... I'll let someone else take care of them.

I'm just honored to be the one who caused Orv to go verbosely frugal, no matter how short a time it lasts. It happened, people, it happened... that's all it matters!

I know tomorrow is another day, but for now I'll take my bows, maybe preen in front of the mirror a little, vomit from preening in front of said mirror, and then go have a beer. I've earned it!

George Simmons wrote:

and then go have a beer.  I've earned it!

Ok, I didn't think you drink beer. Wow. you just went up in my book. lol. I think it would be funny to see George drunk at some function. then give him a laptop to post on LOR.