• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• George Simmons

• TitusCarnathan

• friskybri

• l0chte

Jim Saul wrote:

Just wanted to share my new signature and in the words of Brad Stein if you don't like it, put a helmet on. :-P

Until I get banned from here, this is my signature. I'm a right wing conservative christian. Sorry Dan I am not ashamed of my God or my beliefs, political correctness will be the death of us and I WILL not go there. Sorry if who I am offends you.

This isn't needed. All its going to do is stir things up.

I'll never understand why people feel compelled to contantly announce their beliefs in either politics or religion. Coming from a family that is half libertarian/democrat and half ultra conservative new school "republicans" I can tell you first hand that trying to argue or impose your beliefs never do anyone any good.

Personally, I think our entire country is so far gone in back door politics, filled with corrupt politicians and dirty lobbyists that it really doesn't make much of a difference who is in power. I just keep a well stocked food cellar with plenty of fresh water, gasoline for my generator and plenty of ammunition...

Call me crazy, but I was brought up to know that its better to have and not need than to need and not have.

I live my life to enrich the exsistance of myself, my family and all those around me.

Happy New Years !

-Champ

I thought this forum was about Christmas lights. Bringing religion and politics into it is just a bad idea. Why bring it up?

Jim,
I am glad that your have a strong belief system that keeps you grounded and a valuable part of society.

Don't tread on me

Jim Hans wrote:

I thought this forum was about Christmas lights. Bringing religion and politics into it is just a bad idea. Why bring it up?

Hmmm, CHRISTmas lights, how is what we do not religious? In the paraphrased words of the song "Christmas with a capital C". I say Merry Christmas, not happy holidays. It's bringing the Light of the world into a dark place. Just my 0.02 cents. And I just put my volunteer firefighter helmet on:dude:

Sorry dan, just read your rules post, but our hobby is one that celebrates Christmas, so I see nothing wrong with being outward with that. I think our religion has been tread on too many times by people wanting to be P.C. I have served in the Army to defend our right to freely state our religion, and take offense when someone complains about a nativity scene or the fact that In God We Trust is on our money, funny thing is, they all seem to take it when it is offered to them. Again sorry about the rant, I don't agree with putting people down for uneducated comments like the fuse nail thing, but please don't restrict our ability to declare our love of our Lord and Savior!

bretk wrote:

Hmmm, CHRISTmas lights, how is what we do not religious?

It's really surprising (or should that read: disappointing) how many people don't make that connection.

That same thought came up in a conversation I recently had with one of our "esteemed" politicians in town (oops - looks like I've crossed not one but TWO forbidden thresholds now - sorry Dan) as he was trying to convince me I should pay for a special events permit for the light display. He kept trying to call them holiday lights and I had to keep steering him back to what "holiday" were we referring to?

Oops - edit seems to be broken or something... can somebody start a repair ticket?

I wanted to go back in and add something I forgot but couldn't. So now that means I need to make a whole new post, which means I've gotta either hope a reader can withstand the break in continuity and pick up on the disjointed thought, or else I've gotta re-write the whole post inserting that which I had forgotten. Geez - it would be so much easier to just edit. And now, I've forgotten what it was I wanted to add - okay maybe a third post later on when it comes back to me...

George Simmons wrote:

Oops - edit seems to be broken or something... can somebody start a repair ticket?

I wanted to go back in and add something I forgot but couldn't. So now that means I need to make a whole new post, which means I've gotta either hope a reader can withstand the break in continuity and pick up on the disjointed thought, or else I've gotta re-write the whole post inserting that which I had forgotten. Geez - it would be so much easier to just edit. And now, I've forgotten what it was I wanted to add - okay maybe a third post later on when it comes back to me...

My thoughts exactly, yet I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or not. ;)

l0chte wrote:

George Simmons wrote:

My thoughts exactly, yet I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or not. ;)

There, now you aren't the only double post. :dude:

George Simmons wrote:

bretk wrote:
Hmmm, CHRISTmas lights, how is what we do not religious? 

It's really surprising (or should that read: disappointing) how many people don't make that connection.

That same thought came up in a conversation I recently had with one of our "esteemed" politicians in town (oops - looks like I've crossed not one but TWO forbidden thresholds now - sorry Dan) as he was trying to convince me I should pay for a special events permit for the light display.  He kept trying to call them holiday lights and I had to keep steering him back to what "holiday" were we referring to?

I thought everyone up in Lake Wobegone was a good Lutheran? That politician should know better:D. Btw my dad is from Bird Island ( near Wilmer ) and we go fishing up at Rush Lake in Ottertail County as often as we can.

Just for the sake of discussion, I'll point out that the real topic at hand here is the hardware and software used to create the displays.

I don't think there has really ever been a topic of discussion here along the lines of is a Christmas tree really a Pagan symbol? If not, how did it become something else? If it is not still a Pagan symbol, then how long or what circumstances must pass before a Confederate Naval Jack is something other than a sign of fighting to keep slavery, avoid the industrial revolution, and fight against progress?

So again, is our purpose here to discuss the holidays, and our beliefs that support them, or the hardware we use to create our displays?

There are a number of other places that you discuss much the same stuff, with different limitations on what you can say. Here, or elsewhere, you are holding your discussions on a privately funded media, and subject to the guidelines that the owners set.

I am not judging anyone for their actions, or beliefs. This is a case where no one is wrong. However, maybe this will bring things into sharper focus, or spawn some broader ranged thinking. In the end, do what you believe is right.

Okay. Regarding this subject, I agree with everyone's point of view. EVERYONE'S.

We (Americans) live in a society where we can worship and speak freely. Yes, the politically correctness that has been taken to an extreme is damaging the country. Yes, Christmas celebrates the birth of a child in Bethlehem named Jesus who died upon a cross. And yes, speaking politics, religion, guns, and the like is akin to walking through a minefield with snow shoes.

But, I also understand Dan's stance on the subject as well. I would wager that he isn't trying to censor anyone's freedom of speech for the sake of censorship. Rather, he is trying to reign in a trend that is becoming out of control in order to protect LOR's future. Let's not forget that this forum is owned and operated by LOR; which is a business.

And why wouldn't Dan try to get this under control? If he didn't, then it can have a negative impact on their business, which in turn could impact our hobby. To the folks at LOR, this isn't a fun and games, this is what puts food on their tables.

No matter how Dan goes about it, he is going to look like the bad guy. Could it be handled differently? Perhaps. I personally believe he is doing the best he can in an imperfect situation.

Reality check
If someone were to come into my home and not respect my wishes; then that person would find their butt on the doorstep promptly. Most folks have the same feelings. Remember that this forum belongs to LOR, and as such they make the rules here. This is their house, and whether we agree with those rules or not... it is still their house.

Me personally, I just enjoy the lights, the music and the good cheer. People can believe whatever they so choose, thats the beautiful thing about america, but I try to stay far away from religion and politics. I think some people take religion far far too serious. Just live a good life and do not do harm onto others - I really have a hard time believing that any deity would ask anything more, regardless of what the religious fanatics may claim...

You can keep christ in christmas, but i prefer frosty, santa and rudolph ;)

-Champ

-klb- wrote:

There are a number of other places that you discuss much the same stuff, with different limitations on what you can say. Here, or elsewhere, you are holding your discussions on a privately funded media, and subject to the guidelines that the owners set.

Yes sir, Kevin, Sir!

But can I point out something? Your post contained more religion and politics than the sum of the other posts in this thread? Oops...

And quite frankly, I'm getting sick and tired of hearing "go elsewhere if you don't like it" on an almost-daily basis. Nobody ever said anything like that as I've placed order after order these past four years.

If we're going to be keeping score let's include everything, huh, and not just what makes a point at any particular moment.

Champion Sound Entertainment wrote:

Me personally, I just enjoy the lights, the music and the good cheer. People can believe whatever they so choose, thats the beautiful thing about america, but I try to stay far away from religion and politics. I think some people take religion far far too serious. Just live a good life and do not do harm onto others - I really have a hard time believing that any deity would ask anything more, regardless of what the religious fanatics may claim...

You can keep christ in christmas, but i prefer frosty, santa and rudolph ;)

-Champ

I respectfully disagree, I do take my eternal life seriously. Nuff said

-klb- wrote:

Just for the sake of discussion, I'll point out that the real topic at hand here is the hardware and software used to create the displays.

I don't think there has really ever been a topic of discussion here along the lines of is a Christmas tree really a Pagan symbol? If not, how did it become something else? If it is not still a Pagan symbol, then how long or what circumstances must pass before a Confederate Naval Jack is something other than a sign of fighting to keep slavery, avoid the industrial revolution, and fight against progress?

So again, is our purpose here to discuss the holidays, and our beliefs that support them, or the hardware we use to create our displays?

Just in case anyone cares a little wiki on Christmas Tree's. But also a question everything was organized into "topics" here on the boards would the coffee shop not be a place to discuss anything, from recipes to hunting and fishing tales to problems with the wife thinking we are nuts? I can understand to stay away from getting into heated issues that's what the x in the right corner is good for.

as a side does anyone have any really good recipes to share? I know I've learned alot on here of lighting but those don't taste too good.. being in the "coffee shop" I look all around and don't see one stinking pastry. ;)

God:

God, in His wrath, turned away from His people and condemned them to wander in the digital wilderness, but from time to time He will suddenly appear in mailing lists, chat rooms and discussion forums to remind us sinners that we could be saved if only we would hearken unto Him.

I think it's one of those times...

First, don't presume that anything I have written is an indication that I am happy with the changes here, or how they have been passed down. I've complained privately about some of the changes.

George Simmons wrote:

But can I point out something? Your post contained more religion and politics than the sum of the other posts in this thread? Oops...

Somehow, I've never been good at illustrating things without examples. I kind of liked the ones I used, because it actually shows two separate points at once. It both illustrates that religion and politics are not the focus here, and also shows that normally, we barely scratch the surface of religion and politics here. I'm hoping nobody decides that it is an invitation to start that discussion. If they do, you won't see me participating.

George Simmons wrote:
And quite frankly, I'm getting sick and tired of hearing "go elsewhere if you don't like it" on an almost-daily basis. Nobody ever said anything like that as I've placed order after order these past four years.

If we're going to be keeping score let's include everything, huh, and not just what makes a point at any particular moment.
Actually, all I was trying to do was head off accusations of censorship.

But, hypothetically, if my display full of pagan symbols is actually a tribute to the church of Satan, I really have no need to discuss that aspect of my display here. (thought that might explain some of the firefighting equipment around the display ;))