Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16D DC Controller

Guest guest

Okay, thinking of getting some CTB16D DC Controllers, but looking and reading the manual on them they sound like they are a kit?

If that is so, is there a fully assembled version available?

This will influence my decision on whether to pursue these controllers or pass them by.

I just don't have the vision or skills to solder kits any longer and prefer to buy anything like this in fully assembled form.

So I'm hoping these are fully assembled and not a kit, or at least available as a fully assembled unit. Otherwise I won't be buying any.

While we're talking about them, does anyone know if the CMB16D-QC is included in the summer sale and about how much it would be off? Also, does LOR recommend any certain kind of power supply for their DC products?

l0chte wrote:

While we're talking about them, does anyone know if the CMB16D-QC is included in the summer sale and about how much it would be off?

My recollection is that it usually is discounted in the summer sale, but no recollection how much.

l0chte wrote:
Also, does LOR recommend any certain kind of power supply for their DC products?

Other than DC, I have not seen any recommendations, other than it be the correct voltage and supply at least the minimum current required for the items at hand.

One of my DC projects has a 15A, 50VDC filtered, but unregulated supply based on a large toroidal transformer. Another one has a 24VDC 2A switching power supply, that has screw terminals in and out. Yet another one has a 12VDC regulated 1A wall wart. Each one chosen because of the lights being driven, not because of the controller being used.

as for a good power supply I use watertight power supplies that look like in the picture

they are available in 12 volt and 24 volt, 150 watt each, very usefull for led applications

because they are fully in watertight enclosures, very usable outdoors.

I found those with the help of google with different suppliers and different brand names. but technically the same product.

they did a good job last christmas in very heavy rain conditions for over three weeks.

Attached files 300657=16556-psu24v.jpg

Orville wrote:

Don wrote:
To the best of my knowledge, this is not a kit.

http://store.lightorama.com/cmdedcca2.html

Yes, that's the one Don. From what I was reading in the user manual, it sounded like a kit.

It is a fully assembled board only. It uses some SMD components.

You supply your own power supply and case, therefore it could be thought of as a "kit" since it is not "plug and play" right out of the box.

JBullard wrote:

Orville wrote:
Don wrote:
To the best of my knowledge, this is not a kit.

http://store.lightorama.com/cmdedcca2.html

Yes, that's the one Don. From what I was reading in the user manual, it sounded like a kit.

It is a fully assembled board only. It uses some SMD components.

You supply your own power supply and case, therefore it could be thought of as a "kit" since it is not "plug and play" right out of the box.

No soldering required to complete the kit though. Just need to crimp on quick-connects to wires to attach your power supply to the spade connectors on the board (likewise for the wires from your display items).

spade.jpg

Guest wbottomley

l0chte wrote:

While we're talking about them, does anyone know if the CMB16D-QC is included in the summer sale and about how much it would be off? Also, does LOR recommend any certain kind of power supply for their DC products?

When Dan makes the announcement, well know for sure. Until then, all we have is speculation.