Light-O-Rama Forums

Wire help: Is it wise to join SPT1 and SPT2 together?

imacericg

I am looking to buy a spool of C9 sockets from CDI (http://www.creativedisplays.com/product/425/WEATHER-X-CORD-SPOOLS/) and I understand that the wire is SPT1. I am going to cut it to custom lengths and was planning on joining the lengths to SPT2 extension cords.

Is it wise to going the SPT1 wire/socket spool to SPT2 extension cords by soldering and heatsinking the connections?

Think its ok? Or is it a dumb idea and I should use SPT1 extension cords?

why don't you just put a vampire plug on the end, and then plug it into any kind of extension cord you want, SPT2 or otherwise?

D.T.

DownTown wrote:

why don't you just put a vampire plug on the end, and then plug it into any kind of extension cord you want, SPT2 or otherwise?

D.T.

Yup. That is an option. I am a little OCD, so I was thinking of soldering on the extension cords to make every permanent and clean. But now that I think about it, it might be easier to attach the extension cords via plugs as I would have like 300' of C9 lights and cords :D

What happens next year if you want to move the lights or the controller from where you have them now? If you solder the extension cord on then your stuck. By putting plug ends onto your strings you can attach any length or any size of extension cord you need at that particular time.

Jim Hans wrote:

What happens next year if you want to move the lights or the controller from where you have them now? If you solder the extension cord on then your stuck. By putting plug ends onto your strings you can attach any length or any size of extension cord you need at that particular time.

Very true.

Ok, I am going to add vampires to the ends and connect SPT-2 extension cords to them.

Thanks guys for the discussion!

but... (mostly just to satisfy my own curiosity)
The difference in SPT1 and SPT2 is basically the insulation on the outside, with SPT2 being heavier? The wire inside could actually be of any gauge, maybe the same maybe not. These could be soldered with the load limit being whatever the thinner wire was?
I'm asking if that is right, not suggesting I have the answer.

i found this on another site... re: spt1 and spt2...

What's the difference between SPT1 and SPT2?
The difference in Spt1 and Spt2 wire is the insulation or outside coating. Both the Spt1 and Spt2 is an 18 gauge wire stranded copper. The difference is just the thickness of the insulation. This has allow the rating services to give it a higher amperage rating, the heavier Spt2 wire also will hold up longer to the UV deterioration that will works on the insulation after a few years. When using this wire and if purchasing our quick connect male or female plugs or replacement C7 or C9 sockets. Always make sure that you match these items to the wire style you are purchasing. Both the Spt1 and the Spt2 does require the use of the correct sized socket or plug.

hope it helps...