Light-O-Rama Forums

No control of lights

Ed Slonka Jr

Ok, now that my show has finished for the year I installed S3 - 3.1.4 on my laptop
running XP professional SP3.

Install was fine. So I wanted to start playing with DMX. Have 3 channel controllers
like Holiday Coro ones and RGB's connected to it.

I have X Lights and built a Lynx dongle. Dongle works fine if I bring up Xlights and
run the test on the dongle and lights. All is well.

Close Xlights. Connect USB 485B and Lynx dongle. Both show up - 485 on port 4
and Lynx on port 11 in windows device manager.

Open sequence editor to set up network preferences, both ports listed under
LOR Networks, Regular - port 4 Aux A - port 11. Deselect Aux A and under
DMX Universe - Universe 1 I choose my adapter and choose Lynx under protocol.
Close Seq. Ed. for changes to take effect.

Open SE again and open LOR control panel. Listener error cannot open my listed adapter. Just keeps listing error over and over.

Close both. Open LOR Control panel first and Listener opens my adapter - connection accepted.
Open SE editor second and Listener lists connection accepted for both adapters.

Open sequence with regular channels and RGB channel. My DMX controller is set to
channels 4,5,6 and sequence channels set accordingly.

Go to play and check "Control Lights" and hit play. Seq. starts no RGB lights, check
and "control lights" is not checked and will not stay checked once play is started.

Disconnect Lynx dongle and unload LOR to close Listener.

Check control lights in SE and start sequence and control lights stays checked. Do not have lights connected to 485B. Still set up outside.

No matter what I have tried I cannot get the Lynx dongle to control lights in the SE
because it will not stay checked nor can I run a show on demand because I get a message that the LOR comm port is already in use and to close the hardware utility
but it is not open. Read several posts about the "control lights" not working but it was
because they did not have the 485 hooked up for the SE to latch the control lights but I have both dongles hooked up and are verified with the listener but only if I
start the LOR control panel first.

Am I missing something?

Sorry for the long post!

Thanks, Ed

you cant have Control Panel loaded and still control the lights using SE at the same time. You get the error Com Ports etc msg.. I might be missing something in this, but with the sequence done/saved with SE, make a quick show with it, load Control Panel, Show On Demand. Does it work?

TJ,

Then how do you get the listener to stay open for the DMX if control panel is not open?

I did save the seq. and make a test show and that is when I get a message that
the LOR comm port is already in use and to close the hardware utility
but it is not open neither is the SE, just the control panel to use show on demand.

TJ,

Got it working. Ran across a post about an Enttec dongle not working. Someone suggested
Setting the comm port to a lower one if it was set above comm 10 which mine was
it was comm 11. I reset it to a lower comm and another dongle showed up in
the DMX universe side which was my Lynx dongle.

All is working now.

Took some digging but persistence paid off!

Thanks, Ed

I missed the port number you were getting in the fourth paragraph.. yeah.. less than 10... I'd put "Override Port Number to < 10" in the next LOR Wish list..