Light-O-Rama Forums

LED RGB Strips Price List - What one should I get?

l0chte

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• l0chte

• edvas69

• bob_moody

• james campbell

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

What strip did you get?

Strip:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180766428555?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649(offer 23$)
Connectors:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270840183488?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
(5 of them cut in half = 10) they are for non-waterproof, so You just have to cut and peel away the water-coating..

bob_moody wrote:

I'm on it Boss...

Okay... my EBAY strip came in today...

I am a little disappointed. The picture shown on the Ebay auction shows the strip with pigtails for wiring it in.

THATS NOT WHAT I GOT !!!!

What I got was basically a bare roll of light strip with one pre-soldered with what looks like a 4 pin PC header and a male-male connector for the other end which has a female connecter pre-soldered.

Basically, there is a lot of setup work before I can even test them. I was expecting the pigtails, add some female spade lugs, plug in the LOR board and dazzle Sandra...

She won't be dazzled tonight .. Momma ain't happy .. and you know what THAT means..

(okay just kidding.. shes not unhappy.. just excited to see the strip in action.. as am I)

Bob

bob_moody wrote:

bob_moody wrote:
I'm on it Boss...

Okay... my EBAY strip came in today...

I am a little disappointed. The picture shown on the Ebay auction shows the strip with pigtails for wiring it in.

THATS NOT WHAT I GOT !!!!

What I got was basically a bare roll of light strip with one pre-soldered with what looks like a 4 pin PC header and a male-male connector for the other end which has a female connecter pre-soldered.

Basically, there is a lot of setup work before I can even test them. I was expecting the pigtails, add some female spade lugs, plug in the LOR board and dazzle Sandra...

She won't be dazzled tonight .. Momma ain't happy .. and you know what THAT means..

(okay just kidding.. shes not unhappy.. just excited to see the strip in action.. as am I)

Bob

Wait until you see it in action... :)
I too was disappointed but its not to big of a deal. The connectors I posted above work if you peel away some of the waterproofing.

l0chte wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:
What strip did you get?

Strip:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180766428555?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649(offer 23$)
Connectors:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270840183488?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
(5 of them cut in half = 10) they are for non-waterproof, so You just have to cut and peel away the water-coating..

Do you have a picture of the modified product? (What you have done)

What I have on my strips are 4 header pins like you would see on a PC board. The pic on Ebay looks like these would slide on to a 4 lan (trace) edge connector.

Bob

UPDATE!

You are right.. the colors and intensity are awsome...

Plugged the 4 pin connector into a bread board and applied power. They look great.

and best of all... the red, green and blue received the Sandra seal of approval.. which is a GOOD thing since she isnt really fond of LED's.

Now the question is.. do we make arches? and if so how do we place the light strips?

OR

do we get 4 more and add 5 RGB spirals to the megatree?

Open for suggestions here...

Thought I would add this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270845922707?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

These are the connectors that are on the 5050 strip I got from Ebay.

I'm thinking, plug it in, and heat shrink the connector .. little silicon and poof .. waterproof and stable(?)

Just hate that I couldnt find a US shipper on this... impatient ..

Bob

Have you ever been standing quietly, pondering a problem then suddenly have "AH HA" moment followed immediately by an "AWW CR@P" moment?

I had one of those tonight.

l0chte showed the connectors he bought and used and when i looked at it, and then looked at my light strip... like the Jitter Bug .. it plumb evaded me .. how does THAT go on THERE?

So I looked and found a connector that matched my light strip. 10 for $5 and free shipping ... EXCELLENT ..

Are seeing the details that lead up to my "moment" yet?

Okay.. the one l0chte is using will be great if you need to cut the strip or just want a common connector across the board. What I mean is, take off the 4 pin header and use it just like you would if you cut it to length.

The ones I bought (the Aww l0chte's idea offers more versatility for using the strings whole or in pieces.

So now I have a case of the "flat head disease" (take palm, slap forehead)...

Just thought I would pass that along to all ... and by the way .. I can HEAR all of you laughing ... but its all good ..