Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR for Landscape Lights?

Tim Meyer

Asking because I simply don't know. Can any of the LOR controllers be used to control the typical low voltage (12v) landscaping lights? If yes, then is there a schematic or instructions on how to go about setting that up?

You can do it with the DC cards not the standard 120v kits. They do have the controllers you need if you wanted to. If you have 120v lamps then you are already half way there.

Yes, it can be done with the LOR DC controller and a couple of 12vdc power supplies. Each light would have to have a seperate run to the controller. Or if you have a 30 amp power supply, you could drive all 16 channels (or 16 lights).

The LOR DC controller can handle 2-2.5 amps per channel, but in your case, I would recommend a bulb no greater than 25 watts and only put that bulb into one channel. That would give you a 30 amp maximum load.

Put the power supply and DC controller into a weatherproof case (or type 3R commercial enclosure). It could consume 400 watts of AC power, so plug it into a circuit than can handle it.

I have a similar display being built for next season that uses the same landscape bulbs (20 watts in my case) and the same LOR DC controller. I'll provide pictures as it develops. It's in the welding stage now.

I have landscaping lights on a DC controller. None of my lights are store bought. I use 10-20W leds for RGB floods and hand made RGBW led light tubes in my flowerbeds and garrage eave. RGB ribbon is readily available and reasonably priced for landscaping ideas. I use 450W computer power supply to run it all.

Tim Meyer wrote:

Asking because I simply don't know. Can any of the LOR controllers be used to control the typical low voltage (12v) landscaping lights? If yes, then is there a schematic or instructions on how to go about setting that up?

I am starting using LOR specifically for landscape lighting. I don't actually know if I will do a Christmas show at the end of this year, but I am considering it. All of the landscape lighting will be 12V DC so of course I am using DC controllers (along with 2 Servo Dogs that will primarily be used for the inputs). I expect to have the landscaping project completed late this spring, and I should have the first 2 dozen LOR channels lit up in about a month (I'm looking forward to that)!

Since I am using all 12V LED lighting, it's just a matter of hooking up the lighting to the DC controller. Depending on the light, polarity might matter, and in some cases it doesn't at all.

I picked up a couple used AC controllers along the way that will likely be used if I do Christmas. I am expecting to make the Christmas decision next Monday (date due to stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with Christmas, lighting, or much of anything else related). If I decide to do Christmas, I will pick up some CCBs as soon as they become available.