Light-O-Rama Forums

What I learned - Year 3

Redbirdruss

Just thought I would share some of the things I learned from this years display:
1. Some people are incrdibly kind and thoughtful. I received more thank you letters and even a box of cookies left on my door step.
2. Organization is key - keeping track of where to place controllers and custome length extension cords would have saved me hours. This year I am organizing everything during the off season.
3 Using Zip ties on light strings is a bad idea. It makes it very time consuming to replace failed light strings. Next year it's all pipecleaners for me!
4. Zip lock bages are great for storing lights and elements. I bought a ton of Gallon, 2.5 Gallon, 3XL and 4 XL bags this year and am storing everything from net lights to 5MM Strings to garland. I write the bulb count on the outside of the bag and can easily idenify everything.
5. Keep the traffic moving - I created 2 distinct shows, each with 3 songs and rotate throughout the night. Each show runs about 10 minutes and this seems to keep the traffic moving pretty well.
6. Voiceovers are fun and useful. I did my own voiceovers this year and plan to include messages from my family next year.
7. Including the neighbors in a special nite is key to keeping the peace. I did a Fire and Hot Chocolate night and was pleasantly surprised by how many came out to enjoy the evening. Next year - bigger and better.
8. LOR is adicting and I love it.
Happy New Year addicts!

Redbirdruss wrote:

3 Using Zip ties on light strings is a bad idea. It makes it very time consuming to replace failed light strings. Next year it's all pipecleaners for me!

I can cut off a zip tie faster than I can untie a pipe-cleaner.... :P

and looking at the price of pipe-cleaners..zip ties are cheaper...

jimswinder wrote:

Redbirdruss wrote:

I can cut off a zip tie faster than I can untie a pipe-cleaner.... :P

and looking at he price of pipe-cleaners..zip ties are cheaper...

I agree with you on using zip ties over pipe cleaners! I tried those wire twists like used on trash bags and some bread wrappers.

Tried using pipe cleaners too, they *both* rusted and detoriated in the weather, the wind would rip them loose too.

Zip ties not only stay together, things stay put, don't fall down or get damaged by wind effects when secured well together. Never had a zip tie unravel in the wind or rust away. Never had one break while in use until I cut it off either.

And I can take a pair of wire cutters and cut 10 zip ties off quicker than I could unravel 1 pipe cleaner or twisty tie.

Nope, zip ties are 100% better, and as you said, they are much cheaper too. I'm fortunate that I have a store locally to me where I can buy them 200 for $1.00!

Which reminds me, I need to go pick up another 4,000-5,000.

Thanks for the feedback. My issue with zip ties may be a "Right Tool for the job" issue. I am going to have to re-evaluate my process.
Thanks!

I just reuse the plastic grocery bags, ones from Menards are better. Labeling bags will be more difficult later trying to rematch the bag with the correct string. When I take down an element, I roll the strings up and throw them in a bag and place in a tote along with any hardware needed for that element and label the tote.

Extension cords are labeled and most of the light strings. So they go back in the same place next year.

There are some strings and cords that will not go back, so they are labeled as extra.

Everything went into storage bins that I got at Walmart for $5.

Redbirdruss wrote:

Just thought I would share some of the things I learned from this years display:
1. Some people are incrdibly kind and thoughtful. I received more thank you letters and even a box of cookies left on my door step.
2. Organization is key - keeping track of where to place controllers and custome length extension cords would have saved me hours. This year I am organizing everything during the off season.
4. Zip lock bages are great for storing lights and elements. I bought a ton of Gallon, 2.5 Gallon, 3XL and 4 XL bags this year and am storing everything from net lights to 5MM Strings to garland. I write the bulb count on the outside of the bag and can easily idenify everything.
5. Keep the traffic moving - I created 2 distinct shows, each with 3 songs and rotate throughout the night. Each show runs about 10 minutes and this seems to keep the traffic moving pretty well.
6. Voiceovers are fun and useful. I did my own voiceovers this year and plan to include messages from my family next year.
7. Including the neighbors in a special nite is key to keeping the peace. I did a Fire and Hot Chocolate night and was pleasantly surprised by how many came out to enjoy the evening. Next year - bigger and better.
8. LOR is adicting and I love it.
Happy New Year addicts!

I learned:

My memory is failing me

My artistic skills in sequencing and staging of my decorations needs lots of help

To remove my controller from it's permanant perch and bring inside where I work on the sequencing with lights on each channel. The visualizer lacks a little in representing what is REALLY happening.

I need to label label label things as much as possible.

>>when rolling up my lights for storage roll up the opposite way I intend to install

Cats like to play with Christmas lights

>>I don't know jack____ everyone here is smarter then me.

Refrain from stealing extension cords from my displays stash it really sucks trying to remember where it goes

I really need to get a seperate computer for running the LOR show. I know have permanant brain damage from hearing the music in the back gound soo many times over and over again.

My memory is failing me

I have too many hobbys I don't make enough money to support them

I am now the " nutcase with the effin blinkin Christmas lights on the highway" according to what I heard from my dad who heard it from a local resident

:D

I need lots more CLEAR totes and I missed the sale

make up a seperate tool box so I don't have to make tons of trips bak to the garage for tools.

I can't remember anything anymore

Just stupid little things like that. and there are more but i didnt't want to write a book

ok I am outta here to remove my display from the yard and disregard everything I learned Next year I have to RE-LEARN again.