Light-O-Rama Forums

Never Use a Memory Stick to Transfer Sequences Again!

tjschroeder17

I use 2 computers in my show, my computer that i use to sequence and the old icky show computer. They are both connected to the internet, which led me to a brilliant idea: Why not use an online file storage product so there is only 1 file, shared between 2 computers?

So, I set it up and it works flawlessly. There are many perks to doing this:
All your sequences and audio are backed up and are stored online
When you update a sequence on one PC, the other updates also
Dropbox is an amazing product and best of all, it's free!
If you do a show that is not at your house, you can update sequences without bring there
I highly recommend this, as it saves me much time and stress!
Go to dropbox.com, download the software and create an account. When you install LOR, put the files in your dropbox instead of My Documents. If LOR os already installed, then copy and paste all your seauencez and audio into your dropbox, and then click "Edit" and "Media", choose the new location of the file (Dbox), test, and enjoy!

Every time you save, the sequence is updated! Thought I would share the helpful tip! PM me with questions!

Sounds great for the way you do things. As for me, I'm not ready to give up my memory sticks yet. I do a fair amount of sequencing weekdays in my hearing aid office and since I don't need the internet to fit hearing aids I choose not to spend money (that I could be using for controllers) to have it available there. Plus, if I croak Sharon can easily send my memory stick that gets updated weekly to my buddy Jeff in Jersey.

Don't use memory sticks, but SD cards to transfer my files between computers or an inhouse wireless network link to get them on the laptop that I use to troubleshoot when necessary.

As for online storage, I use Skydrive to also keep copies of all my stuff (sequences, their MP3 files), also where I share my sequences with others here, and the price is right, absolutely free as long as you have an Hotmail or Windows Live Mail account.

Just my three cents.. I will never use an online service to back up. There is no way I am opening a "window" for people to see and use my data. Call me old fashion, but it leaves me with peace at night. What's to say that the server doesn't crash or the business goes belly up. Nothing is free, chances are there making money off you more than just add space.

cenote wrote:

Just my three cents.. I will never use an online service to back up. There is no way I am opening a "window" for people to see and use my data. Call me old fashion, but it leaves me with peace at night. What's to say that the server doesn't crash or the business goes belly up. Nothing is free, chances are there making money off you more than just add space.

+11 on this one!

I use 4 different computers to sequence on and do various other projects with the display and only use memory sticks to transfer things around without any trouble at all.

I have no faith in the online services due to my own desire for security and not knowing when they might decide to crash or go belly up.

I like my data to be my data and not the "clouds".

Oh and George, let me send you my address for Sharon to put on the list of folks to send your sequences.

No, No - don't thank me. It is the least I can do for all the hard work you put into those. I promise to protect them with my life and controllers at all costs! :cool:

I'm with cenote et. al. Cloud storage sure is a handy thing, but once you send it out to the internet, you lose all control of who has access to it and what happens to it. Do you know who has access to the files once you upload it to dropbox? You can assume that AT LEAST the administrators at the other end (at dropbox) have rights to access your stuff. Who are they? What are they doing with your files? Do they make backups? Can they restore the backups? What happens to the old backup tapes? Is dropbox hackable so that outsiders can gain access to your data?

I'll stick to the "old fashioned" way, and put copies of my work on memory sticks. One stays in a drawer at work, one stays at a relative's house, and several copies are floating around my house at any given time.

Just my two cent's worth.

D.T.

I agree with most here. I never want to give the option to anyone to "mess" With any of my data files. And nowaways storage is cheap. I sequence on two different computers and run the show on a third, at home they are all networked together so I can send files off to any of the three. I also run a auto backup program everynight that backs up all them computers to my NAS drive, The LOR files to additionally get sent to a external thumb drive and get shared between all three computers.

Guest wbottomley

I backup on four different drives at home. But... the show PC, located a few miles from the house, gets the LOR files from Dropbox. It's the easiest way for me to do it. Yes... I know how to network, but, this is less work.

That's the only thing I use Drop Box for.

I'm a Dropbox convert, previously I used thumb drives, but all the benefits of the cloud have won me over. Having an automated transfer between machines (edit on one box, and it appears on all the others automatically). Having automatic version control so I can back out changes if needed. Plus having a multi million dollar company securing my data, in place of a three dollar plastic thumb drive.
Of course sending the data into the cloud does have the risk of being hacked by someone, but then I'm just hoping any hacker would be going for the multi million dollar company's using the cloud, not my layout specific lor sequences. To be honest if someone went to that trouble to get it I'd love to see how theirs turned out come Christmas.

My show computer is an DC-MP3 Showtime Director, so absolutely no connection to the internet at all, unless I connect it to do a firmware upgrade, then after that it's removed and no longer connected.

My Skydrive via Hotmail, if you've ever downloaded my sequences from there are also https, which means "secure", I've been using it for almost 2 years now and have had zero problems with it.

If I didn't have it, I wouldn't be able to allow folks to download my sequences at their liesure and would have to wait for me to send them to them, which can be quite a pain with large requests for an assortment of sequences.

So I'll take my chances with them on SkyDrive, as stated going on almost over 2 years of using it and have had absolutely zero issues.

But I keep my sequences on 6 different computers and 4 SD cards, so if one goes belly up, I'm still covered by several other options.

I use drop box as well.
If something goes wrong with my local machine I know I have a backup in the cloud.
They (Dropbox) makes there money from people that want even more storage.
Cloud is the wave of the future!

• 1 month later...

Strange here, the first time I backed up to a second machine using a memory stick, the sequences reverted to their original state rather than the latest and greatest updates to them, even though the changes were saved. Closing the sequencer and reopening it, now the changes were there. I'm backing up everything to my laptop just in case, therefore I can run the show from a different machine, just in case.

I'm a long time computer person and personally I don't want people poking around in my files for an online backup. I know all too well how to hack things if I wanted although I choose never to do so. The only safe way to backup any files, personal or not, is to back them up to a media device that you then disconnect from the computer but maintain it there at your home. A second backup is high recommended in a fire-proof safe, just in case.

PaulXmas wrote:

I use drop box as well.
If something goes wrong with my local machine I know I have a backup in the cloud.

Must be a big file for you to back up as on your sig you only have one channel , must be the schedule for who turns the light switch on and off every night:P:P lol

Denis Chaput wrote:

PaulXmas wrote:
I use drop box as well.

Must be a big file for you to back up as on your sig you only have one channel , must be the schedule for who turns the light switch on and off every night:P:P lol

ROFLMAO :(

OR...you Could just get one of these:

http://www.buy.com/prod/pogoplug-personal-cloud-media-sharing-solution-black/221688297.html

I have one and was able to go online in Pennsylvania and upload to or retrieve files from a harddrive connected to a pogoplug at home in Texas.

You go to a website...log on and see the folders on the harddrive at home. Really quick and easy to use for all sorts of things.

I also got 5gb free "cloud storage" if you need. No fees.

I use a little of both methods mentioned here: Sometimes I'll use Dropbox to transfer files, but I always delete them from the Cloud folder when I'm done (recall that Dropbox changed it's documentation to reflect that their staff can in fact view all of your online data).

Like Jeff, I too use both a RAID array (8 TB/16 bay) and a large capacity battery backup.

An advantage to a battery backup is that not only does it allow some devices to gracefully shutdown during a power loss, but they also can protect against under and over voltage conditions.

- Kasey

Attached files 307412=16845-Untitled.jpg

Their are numerous benefits and drawbacks to everything. The major benifit of cloud storage is off site backup. You can place items on 5 computers. If the house burns down all 5 copies are gone. Or remember what happened to Cracker, house was broken into and all of his sequences, photos ect disappeared. Photos of the kids growing up are not replaceable but are more sensitive than sequences.

You can encrypt your data say with truecrypt and backup the encrypted file to dropbox or another service. Down side to this is you have to download the entire truecrypt volume if you need a file but it does prevent dropbox from viewing your files.

Just a little fyi for some that may have been on the fence on the issue.