Light-O-Rama Forums

Tips for teardown

shfr26

We spend several months on setup and sequencing and stuff, then this time of year we spend a few days talking about teardown. Any tips, methods, or shortcuts??

I use the "roll your lights into a ball" method for storage.

I use these for everything...LED's, Icicle Lights, SPT 2 Extension Cords...

only .99 cents each at Lowes or Home Depot...

Take your time putting things away...(and I label the holders so I know where things came from and go next year)

Then they go into 30 and 18 gal tubs...

you'll curse less when you go to set up in about 300 days... ;)

Attached files 299624=16520-356556.png

Have an old label maker that I use to label all the extension cords. That way I know where they go next year.

Also labeling the light strings, so they go back in the same place next season.

A bunch of zip ties, or clips to keep the cords and store them in the bins that I got a Walmart for $5 after Christmas sale.

Took notes of things I need to do for next year, so I don't forget anything.

Guest Don Gillespie

Well setting up is easy the take down is easier when I don't have anything to do at the shop for the guys they get to go to my house and take stuff down, I know thats not fair but hey they could stay at home and not get paid ;)

To make setup easier next year, LABEL EVERYTHING. Controllers numbered, extension cords, what's in each container on the container, etc...

It makes it ALOT easier to know where everything is when your looking for something.

Don Gillespie wrote:

Well setting up is easy the take down is easier when I don't have anything to do at the shop for the guys they get to go to my house and take stuff down, I know thats not fair but hey they could stay at home and not get paid :P

I wouldn't call that unfair at all Don! I'd call that being very considerate of YOUR employees, and I'd think by allowing them to come, and work doing something to get paid would actually promote a healthier employee/employer relationship.

Personally I think you're one wonderful person for doing that for your guys!:D

There should be more employers like you around!:D

Orville wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:
Well setting up is easy the take down is easier when I don't have anything to do at the shop for the guys they get to go to my house and take stuff down, I know thats not fair but hey they could stay at home and not get paid :P

I wouldn't call that unfair at all Don! I'd call that being very considerate of YOUR employees, and I'd think by allowing them to come, and work doing something to get paid would actually promote a healthier employee/employer relationship.

Personally I think you're one wonderful person for doing that for your guys!:D

There should be more employers like you around!:D

Just don't take his frickin wire cutters!!!!!!

I check and repair every strand before I put them up. This lowers the number of failures when I get them out. Before I roll up any of the store bought LED lights, I spray them all with WD40 to remove mosture.

I leave extension cords attached to the frame / string / etc whenever possible so next year it's just a matter of plugging it into the controller. It's contrary to my OCD nature, but I cope because it's quite timesaver.

Before I unplug everything I run one final test I turn certain elements on at a time and make notes on strands that need fixed/ bulbs that need replaced. I then repair these before putting away. Oh yeah, did anyone mention label everything!!!