Light-O-Rama Forums

Sound Output Volume

Guest guest

Greetings!

Being slightly less than audio illiterate, I decided to use speakers for people passing on the street. (Amplified, waterproof 'rock' speakers from OSD Audio). I'm using an LOR 1602W w/MP3 Director.

The sound output is extremely low. I've cranked up the variable amp to maximum, but can still barely hear the music. When I load the MP3 file into MP3GAIN, it says it's already at 89 dB. Increasing the volume (over 100 dB) only results in distortion.

Am I missing something in the LOR hardware/setup? :shock:

Scottsgrfx wrote:

I wonder if its because the output, (if it's hooked up to computer), is not the power of a normal stereo. ??

I thought about this too........which is why I got speakers w/amps.

Something came to mind..... do I need to have the RJ45 wire connected for power to the MP# Director when using the SD card?

doublea wrote:

the port on your pc may be for headphones, is there another port on your pc?

and are you sure you dont have sometihng in the sound properties in your pc real low?

The only other standard audio port I have is LINEIN.

Checked the sound properties on the PC, and all is well.

Any speakers connected to the audio output of the MP3 controller have to be amplified.

The MP3 controller has line level outputs, not speaker level.

You can try using the amplified speakers from your computer as a start.

Walt

wbaker4 wrote:

Any speakers connected to the audio output of the MP3 controller have to be amplified.

The MP3 controller has line level outputs, not speaker level.

Walt-

I thought about this, but why would a stand-alone device not output speaker-level sound? That would be an.....interesting..... feature for the show director.

Appreciate your input!

Bill

BVanglahn wrote:

OK..........I'm in error.

The documentation does say it requires an amplifier to drive speakers.... but the diagram for the setup shows you don't........

http://www.lightorama.com/images/LOR_Industrial.jpg

We modified the page ( http://www.lightorama.com/LOR_Industrial.html ) that contains that diagram. When describing the speakers in the diagram (labeled (3) ) the description was:

3. Your local speakers (or audio system) are used to amplify the show’s music that the MP3 Director is providing.

It has been changed to:

3. Your powered speakers (or audio system) are used to amplify the show’s music that the MP3 Director is providing.

It was confusing but we have hopefully made things clearer now.

LightORama wrote:

BVanglahn wrote:
OK..........I'm in error.

The documentation does say it requires an amplifier to drive speakers.... but the diagram for the setup shows you don't.......

We modified the page ( http://www.lightorama.com/LOR_Industrial.html ) that contains that diagram. When describing the speakers in the diagram (labeled (3) ) the description was:

3. Your local speakers (or audio system) are used to amplify the show’s music that the MP3 Director is providing.

It has been changed to:

3. Your powered speakers (or audio system) are used to amplify the show’s music that the MP3 Director is providing.

It was confusing but we have hopefully made things clearer now.

Thanks, Dan!! I'm just going to have to be like everyone else and NOT leave things for the last minute :shock:

Bill

• 1 year later...

I am driving a Ramsey FM 100B transmitter and the output seems to be low. Is there a volume adjustment on the director? Do I have to amplify the sound going to the fm transmitter any?