Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie's First Video - looking for feedback

Guest guest

I've finally got videos done of my first LOR driven show. I challenged myself to com up with some tweaks to other sequences that would bring a 16 channel system to life with the impressiveness of larger setups. Tell me how I did? Next year I'm already planning to ad some mini trees, a mega tree, the roof outline and probably at least 32 more channels - but first things first - I NEED MORE POWER B)

Jingle Bells - David Foster

Carol of the Bells

Silent Night

Mad Russian

Jingle Bells - Brian Setzer

Wizards

Hi Darren,

I'll give you some feedback. I'm still very new to this too, so maybe some people with more experience than I can weigh in too.

First, the lights you've set up look fantastic! I like that you kept the window the santa is projected on lightless. The songs you've picked are great as well as the sequencing you have set up (meaning which lights are turning on and off during each run-up or run-down sequence). However, the video was a little hard to look at due to the lights flashing sooooo much and so quickly.

If I was able to control your display from my computer, I would try to slow everything down a bit so people could appreciate what you are doing with the display, your lights, and the sequencing a little more.

I know you have fast tempo'd songs, but it still seems to jump around too much on just my little Windows Media Player screen. I don't know if that translates into it being harder to keep up with in person (when the display takes up your whole field of vision or not).

-Chris

Next year, I will have 16 channels.

I have to agree with a previous poster about the blinky part.

I am planning to more ramps (50-80%, etc.) instead of 100-0-100%, although some parts may require a channel or two to have this.

After enjoying static for so long, I am a little scared to go animated since I see how addictive it becomes. Worse than crack, meth, nicotine, and caffeine.

Ok, now please don't get upset with this as it is not really negative. I like for the songs to have something going with the melody of the song. Be it voices, or instrumental. I notice on a couple of your songs, that you followed the background music and left the melody uncovered, of course it is hard to do that with only 16 channels. This is just what I like, so, don't get too upset over one person's likes.

Now that was my only "negative" thing about your display. That truly looks like more than 16 channels. You have it covered nicely. I like the choice of songs, and the way you chose to light up your house. Great use of the channels available to you. You are no longer a newbie!!

Thanks for the feedback! I actually am running 6 other sequences that are much more tame - I'm just a fan of the crazier ones :( I also didn't do any from scratch myself this year - this being my first I used the sequence package from LOR and tweaked some generous donations from lorsequences.com. Next year I'll do an original show and expand my setup to 32 channels, maybe more.

One thing I always try to keep in mind is that I don't think that people come see the lights very often with an interest in appreciating the artform as much as they come to be entertained. It's been great fun watching peoples reactions to different parts of the show. One thing I;ve learned is that people don't seem to much like my audio loops that interupt the show for a few seconds to remind people not to block driveways or crank up their car stereo's - they also don't like the slow songs (Silent Night, etc) - these are the times when people tend to drive off. I;ve been tweaking the playlist to somewhat try and control traffic flow by introducing an element that people don't care much for just at the time I think they should be moving along to let the next car pull up and enjoy the next portion of the show.

I've also got atleast one of my neighbors into the idea of getting his own system and creating a single larger show across both of our properties - now I;m working on my other neighbor :)

I;m having so much fun with all of this and really appreciate the feedback!

I put my slower songs early in my shows when not a lot of traffic is here. The later shows are much faster paced. I may add for cars to turn off their headlights in my intro since the roads comes straight into my house and cars end up facing it.