Light-O-Rama Forums

Need encouragement or dis-couragement

dougd

I was reading several of the threads over the last week about RGB. It really was something I didnt even want to think about yet, but seems to be the hot topic. One question I ask myself is that really Christmas lights. So anyways in a moment of panic today at Lowes I bought 16 sets of the 36 count GE RGB lights. On the way home the thoughts of doubt were already creeping into my head.

Is this something I really want to take on? Hardware wise it wont be a problem for me. First year I did sequenced lights my hardware was all homemade. Since then I have accumulated 15 PC16 LOR controllers. Built them all myself. I still run 176 channels of DIO.

Software is where the questions start creeping in, assuming S3 has support for these type of lights sometime this year, I cant begin to wonder how hard it will be to sequence this type of light. I am sequence challenged already, this many options would put me over the edge. If S3 doesnt support them, I have looked at Light Show Pro before, although it has some great options, I am comfortable with S3, not sure I want to learn a whole new software.

Should I take the lights back, am I over re-acting, having buyers remorse? Thanks for any feedback.

Doug

Depending on the wiring of the RGB lights that you bought as I have no experience with them will be the hard part how the controller works with them, if they are DC or AC and of course the wiring if its chipped like a 6801 smart strip or just a old fashion 12v dumb strip. As for programming thats cake. Ive been getting ready for next years as Im adding 120 channels (40) RBG setups. The initial setup in sequencer and visualizer is a bit tedious but programming is just like regular lights, only differnece is you can change or fade colors as you want.

I recall a thread someone cut those exact lights up to make something out of them and it worked. Sorry I dont know when or where I saw it but as for a decision I think you should do it! I encourage you to get on track with them and make a heck of a show with them!

Wish I could be of more help, but I haven't gotten into the RGB stuff yet myself. But it does sound from your description that you have the ability to make it work.

So too me it sounds more like Buyers remorse, than anything else. You know buying something, then you overthink yourself on it and start beleiving you got into something deeper than anticipated.

But if you take them back, then you'll start overthinking, well, maybe I should have kept them and worked them in as I got more into this.

I'd say keep them, work them in when you can and feel comfortable doing so, but don't make them a "priority" in your show, as that is the one thing that will definitely put you over the edge.

Work them in slowly as you progress with the knowledge you're getting on them here and anywhere else you're researching for adding and controlling them.

Good Luck!

BTW: Can't even count the number of times I *did* take something back and got my money back, only to find I should have kept the item(s) because now they aren't made any longer or went back to buy the item(s) and none would be had anywhere. So now what I buy, I keep until it falls apart and becomes totally useless! LOL

I have several Christmas trees in my yard that are static, you could have something similar and use the lights on them and people would think it was part ofthe show and just play with one or two strings this year. If you find its easier than you thought then go for it.

Doug,

You said...

"Should I take the lights back, am I over re-acting, having buyers remorse? Thanks for any feedback."

When you design your show and decide on all of the elements you want to work with; when your sequencing is finished and tweaked; when your first scheduled show begins to play; when those parents and kids park or stand in front of your house and say "WOW!, that is really cool"...

it really will not matter whether the lights are individual color or RGB, incandescent or LED, dumb or smart, old school or new school.

There are many components which make a show "good" or "bad". The type of lighting strand is just one of them. The design aspect, the sequencing aspect, the segue between musical selections and lighting cues and cohesiveness of the entire production is more important than the type of lighting strand used.

Having a display which emits the "wow" factor from a child is not based on the latest technology; it is based on imagination; and the "wow" factor from a parent digs the deepest when memories are evoked either from music selections or narratives. Turn the music for your display off and watch the lights. What do you feel? Now turn off the lights and listen to Josh Groban sing "You Raise Me Up". What do you feel? The light display supports the music and complements it, not the other way around.

This is a forum full of "techies" (I am one of them) and the influence of the dialog here is omnipresent. Buzz words capture the fancy of every potential display maker.

From the past to present some of the buzz words have been:

"X" number of lights
"X" number of channel control
"X" number of amperage pulled
C9, C7, minis
Mini tree
Mega tree
Flood lights
Strobe lights
Leaping arches
Weber tree
LSP
LED
RGB
DMX
DMX over Ethernet
Superstar

and the list goes on and on.

When your audience is watching your display, they do not "see" or "hear" DMX or RGB. They are there for the experience. The best designs are those that make your audience's time at your display memorable.

The latest and greatest tech offerings are tools to be used towards that end. They are not, in themselves, the end.
Chances are that you have watched countless display videos and already have a list of things you like and don't like. Chances are also pretty good that if you like certain things, your audience will also like them.

Think about how to create impressions and memories and you will have a great display.

Charles

Well sounds like I should keep them. Got a good deal on them, $20 a set and I love a good deal. I am going to stop trying to figure them out in my head right now and dive into figuring it all out in a few weeks after the lights are down and put away. I feel like a newbie all over again.

Charles Belcher wrote:

Doug,

You said...

"Should I take the lights back, am I over re-acting, having buyers remorse? Thanks for any feedback."

When you design your show and decide on all of the elements you want to work with; when your sequencing is finished and tweaked; when your first scheduled show begins to play; when those parents and kids park or stand in front of your house and say "WOW!, that is really cool"...

it really will not matter whether the lights are individual color or RGB, incandescent or LED, dumb or smart, old school or new school.

There are many components which make a show "good" or "bad". The type of lighting strand is just one of them. The design aspect, the sequencing aspect, the segue between musical selections and lighting cues and cohesiveness of the entire production is more important than the type of lighting strand used.

Having a display which emits the "wow" factor from a child is not based on the latest technology; it is based on imagination; and the "wow" factor from a parent digs the deepest when memories are evoked either from music selections or narratives. Turn the music for your display off and watch the lights. What do you feel? Now turn off the lights and listen to Josh Groban sing "You Raise Me Up". What do you feel? The light display supports the music and complements it, not the other way around.

This is a forum full of "techies" (I am one of them) and the influence of the dialog here is omnipresent. Buzz words capture the fancy of every potential display maker.

From the past to present some of the buzz words have been:

"X" number of lights
"X" number of channel control
"X" number of amperage pulled
C9, C7, minis
Mini tree
Mega tree
Flood lights
Strobe lights
Leaping arches
Weber tree
LSP
LED
RGB
DMX
DMX over Ethernet
Superstar

and the list goes on and on.

When your audience is watching your display, they do not "see" or "hear" DMX or RGB. They are there for the experience. The best designs are those that make your audience's time at your display memorable.

The latest and greatest tech offerings are tools to be used towards that end. They are not, in themselves, the end.
Chances are that you have watched countless display videos and already have a list of things you like and don't like. Chances are also pretty good that if you like certain things, your audience will also like them.

Think about how to create impressions and memories and you will have a great display.

Charles

Someone always has to take the fun out of it and put everything in perspective. Its true how you put it, we look at it as the crew here, we always know theres something bigger and better, but the truth is those who are outside this hobby do not. Charles you hit it dead on.

My comment from earlier still stands in this case, someone jumped on and and used your sequence. Thats flattering yes, but make sure he knows who the big dog on the block is! Not in terms of competion but who to keep up with. . . I wonder if hes watching this thread right now conjuring up something even more over the top all covert like. . . Hmm. Actaully Doug perhaps you should do no display at all next year :}