Light-O-Rama Forums

computer display size

Guest guest

I am just starting using the demo version of LOR and was wondering what all you people out there that have 32 channels or more have for a screen size. I have a 17 inch flatpannel and I see 22 channels. I can not imagine trying to do 80 channels or so. Luckily for me, I'm starting out with 8-16 channels so it all fits on one screen.

Now is the time to look into multiple displays. I have 2 monitors, side by side, and can spread the display across both monitor. I've seen quad monitor setups, and wonder if the display can be split horizontially as well as vertically? I'm going to ask the question in one of the multi monitor newsgroups and report back.

Cool, I was wondering the same thing. I have a 19 inch, and before dan made it to wear you could make the columns smaller it was really difficult. Thought about buying a 32 inch flatscreen at tax time, and make sure that I can hook my computer into it to sequence my LOR. I have a hp media center now so it should work perfectly on a large flat screen.

As long as Windows supports (which it does) 4 monitors, you can spread the Editor window to fit the screens. I also use two monitors. You can even rearrange how the monitors are layed out as Windows sees it. Like monitor 2 is located above monitor 1 and monitor 3 is next to monitor 2 and the top right corner of monitor 4 is located right next to the bottom left corner of monitor 1.

You don't really need to see every channel at one time. I do most of my syncing on a laptop with a 15" display. I sync in groups -- Mega Tree in one pass, mini trees in a second pass, etc.

No matter how big the monitor, I'd go insane if I had to think of all the channels at the same time.

I do sometimes change previous passes slightly as I proceed, if I decide different 'pass groups' should interact in a certain way.

-Tim

This year we had 96 LOR channels and 4 X-10 channels. I did what Tim said, in that I worked on groups of related channels, like 20 for the chase trees, 30 for the mega tree, 8 for the shooting stars, etc. It is also a good idea to insert between related events, a dummy beat channel. This channel has no controller associated with it but simply contains the beats of the music so you can always have a visible reference point to work with on the screen.

I ran 224 channels this year. I do my sequencing on a 21" monitor. Sometimes on the laptop, too.

No problem sequencing as the concensus is you sequence one or a group of channels all the way across. Then another row or section of control.

If you need a "reference guide" such as your key beats on another channel, you can copy/paste those close to where you're working on the screen temporarily, which is a trick I do a lot. Then erase later as you move down the grid.