Light-O-Rama Forums

Standalone (Non-Controlled) MegaTree Questions

Faluzure

Hi all, I've done several searches and have probably read hours of different tutorials on the MegaTree but one thing is common between all of them them... basically how to build the support & poles. The thing that I don't think is answered is how to provide power to it or the "best way of cabling it".

Of the tutorials I've read, there are 3 ways to do it. One is a "string over the pole" where you just take your string of light, run it up one side and bring it down to the opposite side.

The 2nd is to bring the string up the top and back down the same part, essentially doubling the density of lights for a single string.

The 3rd is to bring the string up and then back down at a different location on the same side, effectively looking like an acute angle, or a slender triangle without a base.

Is there a preferred method when doing a standalone fixed megatree? What about when you do an animated one controlled by a LOR controller?

As for power, I understand that for the LOR controller megatree, all the light strings outlets are located towards the bottom and connected individually to each channel on the controller either directly or via extension cords. This is how they get their power.

But for standalone megatrees that aren't doing a light show, how do you interconnect the lights for the megatree? Without a controller, you essentially "lose the outlets". So I'm curious as to how to connect the lights together.

- FOr the outlets on the end of each string, should they always be at the bottom/base of the megatree? I'm assuming if you did it the other way around, where they are at the top, that would be too much weight.
- Whatever method you use to build your strings on the megatree, are you just daisy chaining the lights together? I would assume you would need a couple inches of slack on both sides so that you can interconnect the lights at the base. But with this method, wouldn't you have "gaps" of lighting when two strings interconnect? Does it look weird? Attached is a crude Paint picture I made displaying what I'm talking about.
- What about the lighted topper, do you just run an extension cord all the way up the pole?

Thanks for any advice.

Attached files 297997=16457-daisychain.gif

Use SPT wire and add in-line female connectors along the length of the line so that the mega-tree lines can plug into them. If using incandescents, make sure you don't exceed the power capacity of the wire though.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Use SPT wire and add in-line female connectors along the length of the line so that the mega-tree lines can plug into them. If using incandescents, make sure you don't exceed the power capacity of the wire though.

Ah ha. Again, you have saved the day with your expertise. Thank you so much.

P.S. I found your thread on the spiral. I have to admit, that is the best d**n spiral I have ever seen in my life.

I have what you describe. What I did was, any discarded light strings cut off the two ends and use butt connectors to join them together and make mini extension cords. Also I make the pole a 5-7 channel fire stick. I cut the plugs off and hard wire extension cords to the lights, less bulk. I save and use those as well to make mini extensions. If I have extra male plugs, I use them to make snubbers.