Light-O-Rama Forums

New sign for 2012

ericnagel

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking for 2012 to make a new sign, and I'm leaning towards either a projected one (projected behind, onto a screen in a window, but I'm running out of windows) or a flat-screen monitor (attached to the house (under the porch) and covered with plexi-glass). This way I can change the info on the sign (show times, FM station), have it flip during the show (to promote my Facebook or FourSquare page), etc.

ANY suggestions?

Maybe it would end up similar to how some of you incorporate video in your display?

I already have a virtual Santa, taking up the big window.

Now I'm looking at something like this:
http://www.affordableled.com/scrolling-sign/all-scrolling-sign/ns-500rg2-tri-color-programmable-led-message-sign.html

Ideally, I could find one that could accept commands via the Windows shell, then I can let Light-o-rama send commands to it (of course, that would move me off of my DC-MP3, but probably worth it)

ericnagel wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking for 2012 to make a new sign, and I'm leaning towards either a projected one (projected behind, onto a screen in a window, but I'm running out of windows) or a flat-screen monitor (attached to the house (under the porch) and covered with plexi-glass). This way I can change the info on the sign (show times, FM station), have it flip during the show (to promote my Facebook or FourSquare page), etc.

ANY suggestions?

Maybe it would end up similar to how some of you incorporate video in your display?

I already have a virtual Santa, taking up the big window.

Why not just go with the 'video' idea?

I use video in our display. Not all our sequences have actual videos. Some are a Christmas type background picture with an 'animated' sign that says "tune your radio to 92.7 FM". The skys the limit on what you could make the sign/video be/say.

The projector screen we use is made from 2x4 with a shower curtain liner as the screen.