Light-O-Rama Forums

LED style?

AndyK

Ok, I have searched this forum, DoityourselfChristmas, and YouTube and have not found what I am looking for. I understand how to make a Weber/spiral tree (I have the calc sheet), I understand the sequencing. My question is (as I prepare for my first preseason light order) what type (style) of LED light provides the best results. C6, M5 or 5mm (or something else). I am leaning towards C6 or M5 as the 5mm seem to be more one-directional (hence why I used 240 zip ties per window frame this year :) ). It would seem that M5 would be most similar to regular incandescent. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

My vote is for the M5. Especially if the C6 is more expensive. From 10 feet back you can't really tell the difference between the two. I have both sizes all over in my display and use both on the same elements as well. Can't tell... One thing I did observe this weekend was that C6 size dosn't really look good on arches or bellagio poles (fire sitcks).

Assuming a tree less than 20-25', and 16 channels of spiral, then I would definitely say M5/M6 (what I used this year). Though Jason is right that you really can't tell a big difference between the actual light from a distance, the C6's do get a tad bulky, which could pose more difficulty up towards the top where all the spirals come together. If a much bigger tree though, there will be more room to work with.

AndyK wrote:

C6, M5 or 5mm (or something else).

I'm not claiming it provides the best results, but for my 12-foot Weber tree, I used 8 5-meter RGB strips from Ray Wu. My visitors were impressed.

I used M6 strings to make a Webber setup on my mega tree this year to see how it would look.
It is okay but I have C6 bulbs on the tree so it really needs to have the C6 bulbs for the webber strings as well.
The M6 look "out of place" next to the C6 ones.

Just wanted to toss this out there for anyone who is thinking of adding a webber effect to an existing mega tree like I am.

I think M5's or C6's would look fine, it's really just a personal choice. I have C6's on ours...

What I think is more important is that you double up your strings by color/channel. That way, when/if a string fails, there will still be light on that channel from the second string.

I have 128 strings on our tree that are 50ct each, 32 of each color (R, G, B, WW). Two strings of each color are connected to each controller channel, so that is 16 channels total for each color.

We make "super strings" consisting of 4 strings (2 red and 2 white as well as 2 green and 2 blue). The super strings are tie-wrapped at each end after twisting them together and form a nice cohesive string.

We wrapped the red/white strings in one direction and the green/blue strings in the opposing direction. I think it looks great...

Here is a video for a whole song with the camera just focused on the spiral tree...

I'm happy with the way it turned out and wouldn't change anything...