Light-O-Rama Forums

Using a 20 amp fuse instead of a 15 amp?

Guest guest

I am thinking it probably wont hurt it the only thing It may do is run to many amps on one section of the board that I think is only made to handle 15 amps, so if you added a 20 instead it would overload the board by 5 amps and possibly damage a Triac or further more the board overall. but it might be able to handle 20 amps, I dont know for sure.

I replaced one of my LOR1602W controllers with a 20amp fuse. These boards are rated for 20 amps so the boards are not going to have a problem. The gauge that the input cord comes though is really only rated though for 15amps, so technically you should replace it with a 10ga or 12ga cord that can handle 20 amps. I have to admit though that I am using the standard input cord on mine that is rated at 15 amps. The most my controller ever pulls is about 17.5 amps and it is very rare when it does (maybe only a few seconds at a time every 5 mins or so). If you are going to be pulling a full 20 amps, it might be a good idea to swap the input cord for a higher gauge one.

Logan,

I'd stick with the 15A fuse unless you're on a 20A circuit. Although a 15A breaker should trip if overloaded, it never hurts to have that additional protection. Of course, if it's not your display and it's on a 15A circuit, I'd make sure that only a 15A fuse was installed.

Tom

good points Tom.

The controllers that I did swap with 20amp fuses I have on 20amp circuits (infact all my christmas light circuits are 20amp). When replacing the fuse in the LOR controller, you have to make sure that all the in-between stuff (circuit breakers, cords, etc.) are rated for 20amp.

-Richard