Light-O-Rama Forums

Our Block

Redbirdruss

6 years ago when we moved in to our house I decided to go all out and basically cover my house with White incandescent lights. My neighbors made little effort to do much on thier houses beyong throwing some icicles up and maybe a dear or 2 in the yard. That first year I won a Neighborhood Association Christmas Display Award and plaque. Year 2 I added some animated deer and a Giant Snow Globe. My neighbors responded by adding some lights of their own a few more houses started decorating, until we had about about half the houses taking interest. Year 3 I added LOR and then the cars started showing up for the show and my neighbors really started getting involved.
This year, year 5 our Block won an Award and one of my neighbors won an individual award. We all decided to form a committee to plan our decorations for next year. This has brought my neighbors together and created a real bond and new friendships.

It's funny how one nut (me) can effect a whole neighborhood.

Merry Christmas to all you other nuts out there!

But how many houses will you have running LOR as one show next year? That's when you really know you have them hooked...

Enjoy

Wish my neighbors would do something. Even with me offering to help, they are not interested at all. One neighbor puts a string of lights along his eaves, with is fine. The other neighbor does nothing and continually tells me how obnoxious my lights are. Whatever.

My next door neighbor puts up nice decorations, not LOR tho. Nobody else decorates at all except for the house directly across the street finally wrapped one strand of green lights around their porch post.

Looks like I am going to have a traffic problem this year. I count 12 cars parked up and down the street and the horns are starting up. I will have to cut the show down to a three song rotation. Such is the price of success...