Light-O-Rama Forums

getting an error message

joefrick

all of a sudden im getting error messages:

Componet 'vbalDTab6.ocx" or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

also my AVG anti virus is reporting threat detected

C:WINDOWSsystem32vbalDTab6.ocx

Trojan horse Generic26.AIZU

anyone ever expirence this? LOR will open successfully if i turn off the anti-virus, but not with it on. never had a problem before.

vbalDTab6.ocx is a third party control that Light-O-Rama distributes and uses.

Microsoft Security Essentials, with its latest virus definitions, does not detect any viruses on that file (at least on my machine).

I can see the following possibilities:

(1) That file, as distributed by LOR, has a virus, but Microsoft doesn't detect it, while AVG does.

(2) That file, as distributed by LOR, does not have a virus, but your copy of it was somehow subsequently infected by a virus which AVG is detecting.

(3) That file does not have a virus, and AVG is misreporting it, as a false positive.

Does anyone else have a virus scanner that detects this file as having a virus? Thanks.

i donloaded Microsoft Security Essentials and deleted my AVG, scanned the computer, no problems. strange i never had this problem before.

Just got the same error on my show computer trying to open the sequence editor. The file is located in the WindowsSysWOW64 folder. Ran an additional AVG scan on it, moved it to the vault and anow need to reinstall LOR.

Either the installation file for 3.1.4 has a virus in it or it may be a new false positive with avg. Even when reinstalling LOR from a fresh download, AVG Free 2011 pops up with an infection notice just before the DirectX install. There are a few files that are added to the Windows/Syswow64 directory with an 11/30/11 date, only this one comes up as infected.

Trying to install AVF Free 2012 now to see if that makes a difference.

I am also getting the same error on my other computer that has a paid version of AVG on it. I am talking to AVG support now will advise when I find anything out.

You need to add the file as an exception in the resident shield. You may need to reinstall LOR if the file was already quarantined.

Please go to Tools at the very top of your AVG Program and click Advanced Settings -> at the left panel go to Anti Virus -> Resident shield -> Exceptions.

Then click on File and go to Windows/SysWOW64 and the culprit vbalDTab6.ocx

Thanks for the investigation; just want to confirm that AVG confirmed this wasn't a virus? AVG must've done an update sometime today that picked something out of that file to cause it to alarm..

mcorbo wrote:

You need to add the file as an exception in the resident shield. You may need to reinstall LOR if the file was already quarantined.

Please go to Tools at the very top of your AVG Program and click Advanced Settings -> at the left panel go to Anti Virus -> Resident shield -> Exceptions.

Then click on File and go to Windows/SysWOW64 and the culprit vbalDTab6.ocx

That worked like a charm. Thanks for this!

Mark

Thanks for this information. It hit me on my windows 7 machine running AVG today. I'm running 3.1.4 and I just worked on a sequence last night and it worked fine.
My show computer is a Windows XP machine with LOR 2.8.8 and running Microsoft Essentials and it's working fine.

FYI:

I used to love AVG until they became SUPER aggressive trying to sell you their product. I used to recommend it to everyone... Now-a-days, I stick with Microsoft Security Essentials. It's updated multiple times a day, and I never seem to get false positives (which this problem looks like).

In case you were not aware of it, I also like to use this site:

http://www.virustotal.com/

If you have a suspect file, you can upload it to them and it will scan it with many different virus scanners. That usually gives me a clearer picture of what is going on.

I had the same problem yesterday, and I kept AVG (because I paid for it and I want my moneys worth). I made an exception for the file, and now I'm able to open LOR without any problems. I don't think I'll be keeping AVG when my license is up!