Light-O-Rama Forums

strobe lights

Guest guest

I used them during the build-up of a song this year - it is the Allan Parson Project's Sirius. If I learned any lesson it is that I should have used more strobes and spread them out more. They are also used later at about 5:10 into the song.

If you want to see the effect you can look at the video at

http://www.rsingletary.com/

The video you want is the third item down.

I used 10 curtain strobes inside my mega tree, just added a little "extra" a few times in the sequences. Everyone seams to like the effect. You can see my videos under "show and tell" look for Graham Family Christmas lights.

James & Gloria Graham

rsingletary, that's exactly the look I wanted. What lights did you use?? Great effect.

bkdraft (firefighter?), nice effect also, I haven't heard of strobe "curtains". Can you also provide a link to a place to purchase them?

Thanks!

Jim

I was told they were curtain strobes. I bought them from a fellow PCer here on the forums. I am not sure where to buy them outright.

I have been a volunteer firefighter for 27 years, and the Volunteer Fire Marshal for 25 of those years.

James

I bought mine from Darryl Brown last year. He's a member here and operates an online store. The ones I bought were sealed units with individual cords. What he has on the website now are "curtain strobes" that screw into a C9 string which would allow you to string a number of them together without managing a bundle of cords.

You can find them at his store but I noticed that he is currently sold out:

http://www.christmaslightshow.com/xcart/product.php?productid=54&cat=0&page=1&featured

Keep an eye on the forum and you'll probably see a note when he gets more in. Since last year, there have been a couple of generations of these as he works design improvements into each new batch he gets in so, you may find that the one that he offers in the future to be incrementally better than what is one his website now. There was a discussion about the current design - the "curtain strobes" - here:

http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=5124&forum_id=19

Mr. Griswold wrote:

I have some 45 watt dj style strobes to use has anyone had any dealings with these with LOR?

Yes I have them also. I yours have the 1/4" plug on the back you can control the strobing with LOR by using a 120 mechanical relay from AllElexctronics.com ($1.25). The LOR channel controls the relay coil and you supply 12volts to the center contact to trigger the strobes in unison.

Bill Foley wrote:

Mr. Griswold wrote:
I have some 45 watt dj style strobes to use has anyone had any dealings with these with LOR?

Yes I have them also. I yours have the 1/4" plug on the back you can control the strobing with LOR by using a 120 mechanical relay from AllElexctronics.com ($1.25). The LOR channel controls the relay coil and you supply 12volts to the center contact to trigger the strobes in unison.

Mine are simply 120 volt with variable strobe rate, can the LOR triacs handle this type of device?

They are LEDs I bought from Target after Christmas last year. I mounted them in plastic frames that I could attach quickly to the windows when decorating. They are the dome style LEDs and are incredibly bright when you look at them straight-on - I was video taping at about a 45 degree angle. The small windows on the bay windows (either side of the large center windows) are the new wide-angle LEDs. They look like they have a 45 degree beveled cavity drilled into the end so they are fairly bright when you look at them off-center.

If you'd like a more detailed description or pictures of how I did the window lights, send me a PM.

Roger.

They fade like all LEDs - not linearly like incandescent bulbs. If you want an example of hoe they behave, look at the video "Glory to God" on the webpage http://rsingletary.com/ - it's the third one down. The first minute and a half of the sequence is from another song and mostly consists of pulses 4 seconds apart. The LED channels evenly fade from pulse-to-pulse meaning that the power level is at about 50% at the mid-point between pulses.

Like all LEDs, these lights are pretty bright until the bottom end of the fade where they fall off pretty quickly.