Light-O-Rama Forums

Software Conflict

Guest guest

I've got a problem with my main computer. There is some sort of conflict between Pinnacle Studio and LOR. Last year I ran both programs on this very same computer without any issues. A few months ago I installed an update to Studio and all of the sudden my LOR Sequence Editor had problems. I bounced it off Dan and he wasn't sure why it would happen, and recomended uninstalling any recent programs to see if made a difference. I uninstalled Studio and LOR worked again like a charm. Well, I'm in the process of doing some video editing for my website, so I need Studio. I reinstalled the program without the update thinking that it would work like it did last year. It doesn't.

I know some of you here also use the Pinnacle software along with LOR. Has anyone else had problems?

Here is the problem I have: The sequence editor opens just fine. When I click on "play" nothing happens. The buttons turn grey like normal but the music never starts and the time bar doesn't move. It remains this way until I click the stop button. Also, when I try to create a new sequence I get an error "Error creating new musical sequence." The Hardware Utility works just fine. It's just the sequence editor.

Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated. BTW, this isn't my show computer so there isn't a problem with my nightly shows. It is the computer that I do my sequencing on. I really need it to work so I can demonstrate the computer work to the CBS News crew, which will be here in a few hours. I don't want to uninstall Studio since it takes so long to re-install, and I am currently working on the videos.

Media Player and my other audio programs still work fine. I might try re-installing WMP since I'm ready to try anything right now.

BTW, windows recently did an automatic upgrade that included the new version of Internet Explorer. I believe it also included an update of Media Player. I don't know if that could have caused the problem.

Here is a stab in the dark...
Start Windows Explorer - in the top menu bar click "Tools" then "Folder Options"
Next click the "File Types" tab at the top
Under the "Registered File Types" box, scroll down to MP3 and click on it.
In the "Details for 'MP3' Extension box does it say "Opens with: Windows Media Player".
If you are using WAV files you can scroll down further and do the same check.

I'm just wondering if Pinnacle Studio (or another program) Hi-Jacked your sound files so they play with another player other than Windows Media Player.

If it's not Windows Media Player, you can click the "Change" button and select "Windows Media Player" from the Programs box that opens.

Like I said... just a thought.

Thanks for the idea, Griswold. I checked and WMP is already set as the default for mp3 files. All of my sequences use mp3 audio files.

Pinnacle Studio also uses WMP as its default player.

Is there any type of driver that LOR depends on? When Pinnacle installed I remember that it updated a USB driver, and possibly others.

Marty,
I am using Pinnacle Studio with the latest patch 10.7.0.4245 and have no problems with LOR. 1.6.1

I removed the Internet explorer 7 upgrade as it kept crashing and I am not going to go upgrade to windows media player 11 until after the end of the Christmas season just in case it interferes with LOR.

Tim

I recall when installing Pinnacle it gave me a warning about overwriting Windows files and asked me to insert my original Windows XP cd so that it could reinstall the replaced files. Did that happen on your upgrade of Pinnacle?

Tim

Tim_L wrote:

I recall when installing Pinnacle it gave me a warning about overwriting Windows files and asked me to insert my original Windows XP cd so that it could reinstall the replaced files. Did that happen on your upgrade of Pinnacle?

Tim

I did not get that warning when I did the install. Hmmm.

Over the weekend one of my computers said Microsoft had pushed down a new revision of WMP. For whatever reason the installed failed but WMP then asked to confirm all the file associations with different applications (what should play .mp3's, .mov's, .wmf's, etc.) I'll put my money on those file associations being out of whack.

Marty Slack wrote:

Thanks for the idea, Griswold. I checked and WMP is already set as the default for mp3 files. All of my sequences use mp3 audio files.

Pinnacle Studio also uses WMP as its default player.

Is there any type of driver that LOR depends on? When Pinnacle installed I remember that it updated a USB driver, and possibly others.

No special drivers that I know of. We use a number of system files but the one that seems most suspect is the Windows Media Player APIs that we call.

csmith wrote:

Over the weekend one of my computers said Microsoft had pushed down a new revision of WMP. For whatever reason the installed failed but WMP then asked to confirm all the file associations with different applications (what should play .mp3's, .mov's, .wmf's, etc.) I'll put my money on those file associations being out of whack.

I've double checked and WMP is set as the default for all file types. Before the update I did have a few file types associated with other programs, so I know that something happened. I'll double check that, as well as possibly see if WMP completed the update successfully.

I appreciate everyone jumping in with advise. At this point I am running out of time. The production crew will be here in about one hour. They wanted to see some of the computer stuff. Since the show computer isn't that exciting to look at I thought it would be nice to have this computer hooked up to a controller and my display board so they could see how we manipulate the lights. I'm sure they will still find plenty of things to tape while they are here for the two day shoot.

BTW, this is for a segment that will air on Christmas Eve morning, on the CBS News Sunday Morning show.