Light-O-Rama Forums

RS485 Network

Guest guest

This is a quote from LOR Dan from many moon's ago.

LOR only used the 4 center pins ( 3,4,5,6 ) on the cable. Communications is on the center pair, pins (4,5) That pair is both send and receive( RS485 is half-duplex which means that it can only transmit in one direction at a time ). The other used pair, pins 3,6) are used to transmit power on the cable. That power is used to power remote devices like the SC485...

Bill

So their is 4 left over? Could it be used for sound? Dan? It would be cool if each controller had an audio out. It wouldent work with the serial adapter, mabe an intergrated audio driver in the USB version?

--Daniel L

Daniel wrote:

So their is 4 left over? Could it be used for sound? Dan? It would be cool if each controller had an audio out. It wouldent work with the serial adapter, mabe an intergrated audio driver in the USB version?

If you use phone cable, there is none left over, unless you use 3-pair phone cord (rare). With cat 5 there would be 2 pair left over.

I'm assuming, but have not verified, that the LOR boards just connect these straight through, for possible future uses.

-Tim

I would like to use 2 of the open pair for a 1-wire network to the controllers for temperature, current sensing, master power reset on each controller etc. Maybe this summer I will do some experimentation.

1-wire will run in very unstable environments. I have a 1-wire network throughout the house, garage and back yard with air temperature, wind speed/direction, UV levels, hot tub temperature, pond water temperature, barometer and turn on/off my star and radio/sign using this and it has been rock solid.