Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR getting stuck

Guest guest

Help,

maybe its my machine, i dont know, but sat night and last night the show has started, but the lights either dont come on or the audio gets stuck and repeats it self.. nothing else running on my machine, a toshiba laptop with windows 98SE and pentium 2 processor with 128mb ram? if i restart my computer and restart LOR the show starts up and runs fine? any suggestions?

joshua:happytree::tree:

Dan,

yes it is like a record, stuck or slow, then will go for a minute, and then the music plays but no lights or very limited, or slow lights, like it is behind or somthing.. by the way i have a ctb-08.

thanks

josh:tree::happytree::waycool:

It sounds to me like there is a resource problem or some other program getting in the way. We use Windows Media Player to play the song AND we get our timing from the Media Player (it tells us where it is in the song )... If the Media Player is messing up then who knows what timing it is giving us.

My guess, and I solicit other opinions, is that there is some type of resource problem here. Something is getting in the way, hogging up memory or CPU or both and things just can't run smoothly. When you reboot things are OK. Do you have any other applications running on this machine?

Dan,

i called my brother to see if everything was running correctly and he said that it is working tonite, the only other thing running is music match, which he closed out of the taskbar and the wireless icon for internet, i think one problem is the machine, it is older and it got moved from the table to the floor so he thinks it was getting to hot! so when i go over tommorrow nite i will get it set up on somthing so it wont get so hot, and let you know if there are any more problems.. On the other hand he said there were a few people who stopped and looked a little longer than just driving by! thank you so much for your support, the product and all the hard work! Look forward to april 40 more channels coming my way! :happytree::tree: :happytree:,

If i dont have any more problems, Have a merry christmas :waycool:

Joshua,

Couple things you may want to do:

Update your audio drivers. Toshiba should have the latest Win98 drivers for that laptop available. In fact, I would update everything the have listed for your model of laptop, though, much of it won't really be of concern for this problem, but the audio drivers certainly are.

Next, make sure your Win98 is as up to date as Microsoft allowed it to be when they stopped supporting it. Especially DirectX, Windows Media Player, etc. Make sure, however, the the DirectX version and Windows Media Player version you are using is actually FOR Windows 98. The latest versions are made with Windows 98 in mind as MS stopped supporting it long ago.

If the laptop was previously used for other things, and is now dedicated to LOR, then you might want to use the laptop recovery CD, THEN update everything. This will wipe out all of the software you have added on over the years and leave you with, essentially, a blank slate to work with.. taking away the possibility of various other programs interfering.

And finally, heat is a big problem with laptops, especially if they are left on for very long stretches of time. You might want to visit an electronics store and get some rubber feet that you can stick to the bottom that will raise the laptop off of the surface of the desk/floor a half inch to an inch, which will provide better airflow around it. Worst case, you can blow a fan at it, aiming it at the desk so it flows underneath it.