Light-O-Rama Forums

2012 MITS PreSale

JacobJDell

Got my 13 cases Thursday. It took me an hour and a half to sort them all out and make sure I got the right ones. After I some what figured out the tag in the bag 2-35, 4-25 etc.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JacobJDell

• Crazydave

• imawlkr2

• friskybri

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So what now? I am supposed to be understanding? Everyone needs to stop giving these vendors excuses for the way they have done business. Frankly I am tired of the excuses from all the venders I have dealt with this year with the dragging heals, delays and polices that waist my money. Now here it is mid October and I should have everything I need but I don't. So why is that? Cuz of some stupid government operation that started 3 months ago... The same 3 months I should have had everything? Give me a break... I am so over the notion of a presale now, I am never doing these again cuz it shouldn't have to be this way. It creates a level of rushed stress that just shouldn't exist. I don't understand why everyone tolerates this system in their hobby. There has to be a better way then to create such a bottle neck that everything slows to a crawl. There has to be a better way.

Jacob isn't the problem, he is just the middle man in this situation, but is it wrong of us to ask who this vendor was? Is it wrong to say, "If your going to sell lights from this supplier then we aren't going to buy." Aren't their thousands of other places to go in China to get these lights? Is it just me that demands something for my dollars more then excuses?

So this is how I feel about my experiences this year with all the vendors I have delt with, and you don't have to agree. But your not going to tell me I am wrong to feel this way about the nonsense I have experienced from vendors this year across the board.

Drew

I think you arer missing the point, it doesn't matter what vendor you go to in China, ICE is going to treat them the same way. I don't even think Jacob is the middle man in this situation, I think its the Chinese vendor, ICE, and then Jacob. We have no control over what ICE does. As you can see Jacobs lights came in and were not confiscated, therefore he bought from a good vendor. More than likely there was to many fires causing by electrical stuff coming from China, and the government finally stepped in. As for the other vendors., I have no experience with what they were selling or how fast or slow anyone got there product.

Edited by bdeditch

Here's a link to the "Operation Short Circuit" that took place recently. Now maybe people will understand a little more what was going on.

http://www.ice.gov/n...ashingtondc.htm

I wonder how much this "Operation" cost us taxpayers? MSRP of items confiscated was $5.8 million, which usually MSRP is inflated. I bet this Operation cost more than that (plus lost tax on these sales). And they confiscated ~2700 boxes of Christmas lights? I don't know if those are cases or individual boxes (my guess is individual boxes, so they could make the number look higher), but either way that is a drop in the bucket with regards to the number of lights sold each year. I have read that 150 million strings are sold in the world each year, and most are in the USA. And what did this accomplish? We eliminated a couple thousand cheap Chinese junk counterfeit light strings. Aren't all lights cheap Chinese junk to begin with? We aren't tracking down counterfeit Rolexes or Coach purses here. No wonder the prices on these lights aren't falling like they are in the rest of the world. Here we have to fund this type of stuff. So for every $2 string of lights, $1 is to cover their loss on this kind of nonsense. And it isn't like we are protecting our great "Made in the USA" Christmas light manufacturing industry, since none are made here to begin with.

No I think your missing my point. Explain to me how this event resolves the manufacturer screwing up the order the first time. you know the one that passed inspection without incident 3 months before this operation started. how does this release everyone from responsibility. With all due respect you have commented on other vendors per your post on the first page of this thread about CDI which along with what Surfing4Dough said illustrates my point about how there should be a better way to do this. This presale model of doing business has become far too risky, expensive, and time consuming. There has to be a better way.

Sorry, no offense. I am just tired of all the excuses for everything.

Drew

You know what, no one is telling you to do presale. So if you are not happy with any of the Chinese Vendors, go there yourself and find a good vendor, and see how everything goes with your first order.

And the reason I mentioned Pauls lights is because that was a major problem, due to faulty workmanship, and no fault of Pauls. But guess what, people had to wait for lights because of this, or buy twice while Paul had to get that mess sorted out. Was it Pauls fault? Heck no, something he couldn't control what so ever. Poor guy said he just about went bankrupt over it. What a way to have a business just about go down, because of something you can't control. And I am sure Paul would agree that be thankful that no major fire occurred.

Edited by bdeditch

If you guys happened to read the link, Operation Short Circuit happened last year. No idea if that played a role in this year's problems or not, but ICE has cracked down on everything coming into this country. Whether it be holiday lights, child toys, vehicles, or ceramic tile, 95% of the cargo containers brought in from China are searched every day by ICE or other federal agencies. Just in the Port of Los Angeles, I remember reading some number like 10,000 containers are searched each day (or something like that, don't remember the exact figures).

I did not order during the MITS pre-sale, so I don't have an opinion on the delay, but I highly doubt that you can fault Jacob for the problems. If anything, you need to blame the manufacturer in China for the delays, such as sending the wrong order which delayed the delivery by several months.

If you guys happened to read the link, Operation Short Circuit happened last year. No idea if that played a role in this year's problems or not, but ICE has cracked down on everything coming into this country. Whether it be holiday lights, child toys, vehicles, or ceramic tile, 95% of the cargo containers brought in from China are searched every day by ICE or other federal agencies. Just in the Port of Los Angeles, I remember reading some number like 10,000 containers are searched each day (or something like that, don't remember the exact figures).

I did not order during the MITS pre-sale, so I don't have an opinion on the delay, but I highly doubt that you can fault Jacob for the problems. If anything, you need to blame the manufacturer in China for the delays, such as sending the wrong order which delayed the delivery by several months.

But they did it again this year, but I am sure finally tally won't be seen for a while.

Ok it's time for me to jump in knowing that I'm going to be criticized for doing so but I think you should get a behind the scene account of what really happened. I don't understand why Jacob won't fess up but here is what I've been told. When Jacob ordered his lights, he goes through a broker and not direct with the factory. I think his broker tried to make some extra money and went to a lesser factory to place the order. I kept asking my factory if they got an order from MITS all spring and summer and they kept telling me no. When Jacob got the first container he probably went into panic mode as he found out it wasn't what he was expecting. I got to give props to his agent and the factory for taking that back (if they actually did take it back). My factory didn't get the order until late summer and they told Jacob they would not deliver the goods until early fall. I think he could have been a little more "open" about the dates and what really happened.

Guest Don Gillespie

I guess the short answer would be because I asked. The longer version is I have a long relationship with them and it's not uncommon for me to comunicate with many of my venders.

It is done in buisness all the time, one thing for sure when you order through Paul you get what you asked for.

Why even post this outdated information and play it off like it was happening now? Was it to get a rise out of us here?

No offense meant, but it sounds like the only person that he got a rise out of was you?

As indicated, if you don't like the pre-sales, don't participate in them. I've ordered lights from many vendors- they each have different cost structures and policies (e.g. can you buy single strings), and each have had their snafus. It's up to you to make an intelligent decision as to who to buy from - or to purchase from the big boxes like most consumers. For me - I tend to make this decision on a case-by-case basis (this season didn't find me purchasing new standard LED stringers from anywhere...)

It is done in buisness all the time, one thing for sure when you order through Paul you get what you asked for.

Did you buy lights from Jacob this year or last?

No offense meant, but it sounds like the only person that he got a rise out of was you?

As indicated, if you don't like the pre-sales, don't participate in them. I've ordered lights from many vendors- they each have different cost structures and policies (e.g. can you buy single strings), and each have had their snafus. It's up to you to make an intelligent decision as to who to buy from - or to purchase from the big boxes like most consumers. For me - I tend to make this decision on a case-by-case basis (this season didn't find me purchasing new standard LED stringers from anywhere...)

Well said Tim

I guess the short answer would be because I asked. The longer version is I have a long relationship with them and it's not uncommon for me to comunicate with many of my venders.

Well Paul I have heard many stories about you, but I don't come in here and post anything because " I heard from someone". Until I see proof on paper and treat them all as rumors and hearsay..

I am not ready to avoid all pre-sales yet. But, in my opinion this pre-sale was handled very poorly. There were too many delays and not enough up front communication from MITS as to what was going on. Until MITS establishes a record of delivering as promised, in a timely manner, I will be placing my orders with someone else. I will also be advising any one who asks my opinion to do the same.

Have you?

Yes I did, and I did last year. Why don't you leave and get back where you belong.

Look at the first two pages of this thread, all you talked about "what you heard from someone" so don't act like you didn't. I mean you seemed to know a lot about all Paul's business dealing and near bankruptcy ect... Get your facts straight before you come in a thread making statements about things.

Thank you. =)

Drew

Better go read it again, your nothing but a trouble maker, maybe one of the rumors were right and you are the proof.

Edited by bdeditch

Up until the name calling, and editing posts to remove comments, things were fine.

I don't see anything being resolved in this thread. Time to move on.