Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB08 not working

Guest guest

Well my CTB08 has been running fine since Thanksgiving i looked out my window tonight and seen that none of the lights hooked up to it were on... After i scratched my head for second and made sure I didn't fidget with the schedule and the show was running I went outside and opened up my box to see that I had no LED at all... First thing was ok just a fuse so i shown my Light on my the fuse and from what I can tell it looks good... not sure what it is supposed to look like blown but it looked the same as it always has... So i grabbed my multimeter and checked the input screws on the block and found 121 VAC so power source is good... I don't know what to check next like I said everything was fine until tonight.. The board is a little over a year old but this year is its first year in use....

Any suggestions on what I should check next. Like the subject says I did forward this to LOR as well but thought I might not be the first person to troubleshoot this...

~ Donald Landru

Donald.Landru wrote:

... So i grabbed my multimeter and checked the input screws on the block and found 121 VAC so power source is good.
~ Donald Landru

If it's a white ceramic fuse it would be difficult to tell if it was blown visually.
Unplug the unit, pull the fuse and use the Ohms setting on your meter to see if it is open or shorted. Shorted is good, open is bad.
I don't know your background in electronics so you may have already tried this.

You could also try the voltmeter across the fuse when the controller is pluged in. If it reads 120V across the fuse, it's bad.

Griswold wrote:

Donald.Landru wrote:
... So i grabbed my multimeter and checked the input screws on the block and found 121 VAC so power source is good.
~ Donald Landru

If it's a white ceramic fuse it would be difficult to tell if it was blown visually.
Unplug the unit, pull the fuse and use the Ohms setting on your meter to see if it is open or shorted. Shorted is good, open is bad.
I don't know your background in electronics so you may have already tried this.

You could also try the voltmeter across the fuse when the controller is pluged in. If it reads 120V across the fuse, it's bad.

I know enough in electronics to get myself in trouble... Ill check the fuse now.. i was going to run the leads across the fuse when hot like you said but i was worried i it would pull 120 across the fuse anyways... and the last thing i want is to launch the board :laughing: I will post with ohm result

alright so i got the fuse and it read inifinity (open) so hopefully i trip to radioshack should fix the problem... Question is what caused the fuse to blow... I am well under 15 ams and not even more than 1.5 amps per channel... I guess I will have to make sure it is the fuse then see what happens next.. thanks for the quick response Griswold

Donald.Landru wrote:

alright so i got the fuse and it read inifinity (open) so hopefully i trip to radioshack should fix the problem... Question is what caused the fuse to blow... I am well under 15 ams and not even more than 1.5 amps per channel... I guess I will have to make sure it is the fuse then see what happens next.. thanks for the quick response Griswold

Yep.. looks like a bad fuse. Radio Shack does carry them.
Maybe a single light string shorted and blew the fuse.
To be safe, maybe unplug all the lights, replace the fuse, and test one circuit (channel) at a time.
The alternative (maybe better?) would be to test each channel of lights on an extension cord and not use the LOR Controller. Better to pop a circuit breaker than a LOR channel. :shock:

Good luck! Let us know what you find out.