Light-O-Rama Forums

Windows 8 and S3

TJ Hvasta

Just started playing with 64-bit Windows 8 Developer Preview.. Installed S3 (3.1.4) and trying it out with this Beta version of Windows.. it's REEEEEALLY different.. I'm going to try running some show over the next few days and see how it goes.. freezes, lock-ups, etc. Being a Developer (Beta Tester) version, nothing is guaranteed to work with it.

This new version of Windows, the "front page" is all tiles, tho once you click on the item tile you want it slides (like a tablet page) into view. I have my shutdown sequence running right now, it'll be up all night and I'll see if it crashes during the night.

Don, Dan, and other Admins, I'll post, or PM you with any bug I may see with this. The Release Candidate (retail version) wont be available until sometime next year, but you'll have an idea if there's any problems with the 64bit version. I'm going to install the 32bit version tomorrow on another drive and test that out also with some of the S2 and S3 releases.

TJ Hvasta wrote:

This new version of Windows, the "front page" is all tiles, tho once you click on the item tile you want it slides (like a tablet page) into view. I have my shutdown sequence running right now, it'll be up all night and I'll see if it crashes during the night.

dont they have the regular desktop with icons and the taskbar any more

I just took some screen shots I'll post.. apparently its the Start Menu that's Tiled.. there is a regular (win7) desktop but a few steps to get it.. I think its because its a Development issue. S3.1.4 does run on it. That's for certain. Even in 64bit mode.

Mike, you can grab both the 32 & 64bit Development Preview versions on the MS website. I put the 64bit on a spare 160gb drive last night.. I'll put the 32bit on a spare 80gb this afternoon and see how big the footprint is and how it runs.. Its -very- iPad-ish with every screen sliding which is what Gates said MS was eventually going to develope for.. tablets and pads..

Thanks. I know I have access to it via my MSDN subscription too, I just don't have a machine to put it on. :P

My dev machine has to stay x86 XP, and my 'test' machine already has 3 bootable partions on it: x64 XP, x64 Vista, x64 7.

It looks really nice.. the sliding screens neat too.. IE10 is there too.. I'll let you know how it goes and will post the screenshots in a bit..

One report that we have received about this (from another person) is that SuperStar won't launch, saying "Internal error, cannot load engine Number 2 due to error 50". We're probably not going to put much effort into Windows 8 until after the season, but could you please try starting SuperStar to see if you get the same problem or not? Thanks.

It's too much in the direction of Tablets in my opinion. The change from XP to 7 is drastic and then to change it yet again in 8 doesn't appeal to a lot of users (at least in my Corporate work environment).

Mike - Why not just run 8 in a VM? That's how I tested Win 7 when it came out for beta use.

Start Menu is tiled rather than a table (list) format.. I havent seen if theres a way to switch to "Classic" view (list) but I just started playing with it last night.. it'll get loaded on a drive for my laptop, then I'll be able to road test it with all the LOR programs while out on trips... I agree Don, I wouldnt want to do anything with it this season, but come Spring, when more dev's build for it and work out some of the bugs.. fer instance, my keyboard buffer is non existant.. I have to type very slow on it or it misses a lot of letters.. and it's not wifi'd or even PS/2..

It is really geared to get you interested in tablets, as evidenced by screen transitions, both for programs/apps, system menus and IE10.. that in itself (IE10) is amazing.. Tho I wont understand why they came out with this as a stand-alone OS rather than maybe a SP change to 7..

You could run it VM.. or just find a small extra drive.. I have a couple from 32gb to 250gb on hand.. just stick one in, put the .iso (x64 is just over 4gb, x32 is only 2.4gb) I put the x64 .iso on a 8gb thumbdrive, I have a couple spare 2 and 4gb thumbs to put the x32 .iso on.. the 64bit looks like a 13.3gb footprint.. big..

Here's the Startup screen,

Attached files 290429=16066-2011-12-08_14-24-25_702.jpg

Only when you click on the Desktop tile, do you get this: THere may be a setting to skip the Start Menu, but again, in Dev Mode, it's probably a default.

It's only been out a little while, just abt two months.. I'm going to load the x32 on the laptop and try out all the S3 modules.. SS and the like.. the error the other guy received with SS, was that with the 32 or 64bit? I'll try it in a minute with x64 and let you know..

Attached files 290436=16069-2011-12-08_14-34-37_962.jpg

hmmm, it's interesting.. the kb buffer overruns I wrote abt before, where it wasn't keeping up with my typing.. that was failing in FB, but not here, so that might've been a FB server prob.. kb is keeping right up with my blazing 34wpm here..