Light-O-Rama Forums

USB485B and stability

Guest guest

Is the LOR serial to rs485 more stable and bullet proof than the USB485B?

On my system, the USB485B is not a bullet proof / dependable item at all. It simply stops running whenever it likes no errors nothing it just has to be disconnected from the USB and hooked back up, very frequently 6 times in the last 12 hours.

Any suggestions?

Jerry

I had a problem with one computer where I had to reboot every 2 hours to get the show to run but since changing to another computer (newer) there have been no problems. I don't think the usb was the real issue but other components such as a video card and failing memory.

solarix wrote:

Is the LOR serial to rs485 more stable and bullet proof than the USB485B?

On my system, the USB485B is not a bullet proof / dependable item at all. It simply stops running whenever it likes no errors nothing it just has to be disconnected from the USB and hooked back up, very frequently 6 times in the last 12 hours.

Any suggestions?

Jerry

Jerry,

It is uncommon for the USB485B to have the problems you are describing. There are some more up to date USB drivers from FTDI (the USB chip manufacture)... We will be posting them on the support page in a few days. Send an email to support@lightoama.com and they can get them to you. This may help you out.