Light-O-Rama Forums

Problems saving Export

Paul Roberson

When I try and change the name of the save file I get an error.

Here is what I try and rename the file.

Attached files 288786=15985-SSE Export problem 1.jpg

If I don't try and change the file name (to something that makes sense to me) it will export fine as "Untitled.vis.sup.lms"

Try saving as this. The file name must end in .lms or .las (.lms - musical sequence) (.las - for animation )

FFarches.vis.sup.lms

Jamie Taylor wrote:

Try saving as this. The file name must end in .lms or .las (.lms - musical sequence) (.las - for animation )

FFarches.vis.sup.lms

I understand that it must end in .lms, (or .las) but certainly it can't be necessary for me to have to type ".lms" to the end

If you notice in the first post attachment the "save as type" is ".lms"

Just tried changing the name and typing "test.sup.lms" and it works. Saving "Untitled.sup" works as well and it adds the ".lms" itself. As it should.

This needs to be changed/corrected.

Paul Roberson wrote:

Jamie Taylor wrote:
Try saving as this. The file name must end in .lms or .las (.lms  - musical sequence) (.las - for animation )

FFarches.vis.sup.lms

I understand that it must end in .lms, (or .las) but certainly it can't be necessary for me to have to type ".lms" to the end

If you notice in the first post attachment the "save as type" is ".lms"

Just tried changing the name and typing "test.sup.lms" and it works. Saving "Untitled.sup" works as well and it adds the ".lms" itself. As it should.

This needs to be changed/corrected.

I have noticed this bug too. I just now took the time to analyze what was happening. I found one problem that I can fix, and the other problem is very difficult to fix.

Problem 1) If you try to change the export file name to something like "MySequence" it will not automatically append the .lms to it. Turns out Microsoft allows for defining the default file extension and I wasn't doing it. I just now fixed that, and now on my computer if you supply a name like "MySequence" it automatically appends .lms to it.

Problem 2) If you try to change the export file name to something like "MySequence.sup" it will not automatically append .lms to it. And even now that I define a default file extension of .lms it still won't do it because Microsoft code checks to see if you typed in your own extension, and if you did, it figures you want to change the extension to .sup and doesn't know that you want it to be .sup.lms

I probably explained in more detail than you wanted. But the upshot of this is that you are right, there is a bug there and I don't have a complete fix for it. The work around is to first use "Save As" to a name you like, such as "MySequence.sup" and then when you export it will export to "MySequence.sup.lms" But unfortunately, if you want to save it as something like "MySequence2.sup.lms" you need to completely type out "MySequence2.sup.lms"

Paul Roberson wrote:

When I try and change the name of the save file I get an error.

Here is what I try and rename the file.

I have been thinking about this whole file name thing lately and want to ask peoples opinion.
My reasoning on the file names was that people would have a main sequence and a CCR sequence. I figured it would keep things organized to have the main sequence be something like "MySequence.lms" and then the CCR sequence would be "MySequence.sup.lms" That way you knew what sequence was what, and the .sup.lms meant it came from the SuperStar program.
Since then I have found the following issues:
1) The Windows default is to "Hide extensions for known file types" which means it does not display the last 3 characters, and tells you what file type it is. For example, in Explorer "MySequence.sup.lms" shows up as:
MySequence.sup LMS File
This of course is confusing because you might think it is .sup file when it is really a .lms file
2) The standard in most programs when exporting is to just change the file extension. So MySequence.sup becomes MySequence.lms. My fear though, is if you export MySequence.sup and your main sequence is named MySequence.lms, even though it warns you that you already have a file by that name, some people will answer "go ahead and overwrite the file" and could overwrite their only copy of a valued sequence.
3) As pointed out by Paul Roberson, if you try to name an exported file "MyNewSequence.sup" with the intent of it being exported as "MyNewSequence.sup.lms" the dialog box does not do that, because Windows sees .sup at the end and figures that is the file extension you want.

So what can I do from here?
1) Keep it working the way it does, that is, "MySequence.sup" gets exported as "MySequence.sup.lms"
2) Have "MySequence.sup" export as "MySequence.lms"
3) Have "MySequence.sup" export as something like "MySequence_sup.lms" or "MySequence_SS.lms

Any opinions out there?

I like option 2. IF I can name the file myself (not including ".whatever") without getting the error.

I would designate in my re-naming that it was from SuperStar.:cool:

I like option #3, because then I don't have to worry about renaming anything, and it is easy to understand, and shows up in Windows.

CKSedg wrote:

I like option #3, because then I don't have to worry about renaming anything, and it is easy to understand, and shows up in Windows.

I can also like option #3, IF I can re-name the sequence without error. :P