Light-O-Rama Forums

Facebook is going CrAzY!

jaimwolfe

Yesterday I posted my first video of my first year display on Facebook, and man it has exploded! 16 people shared it off of my wall, and multiple others then shared it off their walls. It is hard to keep up with the comments.

I decided it was time to make a facebook page so people could "Like" it / subscribe / whatever (a little late I know). Then an hour ago a local news guy who saw the video messaged me on Facebook and said he may want to do a piece on it tomorrow night. Fun Fun!

Info and videos at http://www.facebook.com/OCLights
64 Channels with 2 CCRs.

Or just watch the video here: http://vimeo.com/32725657

Jamie,
1) congrats that's awesome and enjoy the fame from all your work.

As to the question of doing the interview, it all depends on how much traffic you have now. The news story will double it, if you are in a position to deal with it, then go for it. If you are near the end of your neighbors rope, or traffic is backing up, you may want to skip it and fly under the radar.
Either way you go, great job and have fun with it

It will at least double it. If you live within 20 minutes of a populated area you could get much more than that.

When doing an interview keep this in the back of your mind "Would my neighbors like me inviting the entire town to our neighborhood?"

It would also be interesting to know what angle the "local 'news' guy" was going to take.;)

Maybe he wants to feature you as a 'global killer', warming the environment beyond repair with your 'crazy lights' burning thru our resources.:shock::)

BTW. Just to clarify (seems like I've needed to do that more lately) this is not how I feel about our displays.

Thanks Jim, Doug, Paul and everyone. Now you have me a little worried about doing it. :) I had two cars at the same time watching it last night for a few times, but definitely no "line of cars". I think that if I just skip the interview I may end up with a line of cars by Christmas just from word of mouth. I'm not sure what to do. Probably half the times when I looked there was at least one car. I am about 20 minutes from two fair sized cities with about 100k people.

Should I verify with the news before coming out that they won't use any negative spin on it? I just assumed they want a good story to offset all the bad news.

Thanks again, and boy is this fun! We all Rock Christmas for everyone, because we all ROCK! :)

jaimwolfe wrote:

Should I verify with the news before coming out that they won't use any negative spin on it? I just assumed they want a good story to offset all the bad news.

Thanks again, and boy is this fun! We all Rock Christmas for everyone, because we all ROCK! :)

Maybe its nothing to be concerned about. Its probably just my ideas/view of the media, government, the world that makes me not trust many.:)

jstorms wrote:

When doing an interview keep this in the back of your mind "Would my neighbors like me inviting the entire town to our neighborhood?"

That's about the best way to put it. You will probably get your well earned 15 minutes of fame. But you my find yourself being responsible for a lot of upset neighbors and possibly shut down.

I live in a small town and had pitiful traffic for three years. Last year a neighbor contacted the local paper (circulation 3,000). We went from a couple dozen cars a night to a line of seven cars most of Christmas Eve. I'm glad I only talked to the local paper and I'll probably stay away from publicity this year. Traffic is already 5X what it was last year at this time last year.

Well, I did the interview. Being Sunday night there is nobody coming to see the show tonight, and I figured why not. They were both really cool, seemed interested in the technology (not that I really wanted to go that way). I gave props to LightORama for the controllers and software. I tried to keep it more on "why" I did it, but of course the how will probably get more publicity.

Jesus is the reason for the season, and it is because of him that all of us have the resources, talent and drive to make these awesome displays. Thanks everyone here for all of your help this year.

rwertz wrote:

jstorms wrote:

That's about the best way to put it. You will probably get your well earned 15 minutes of fame. But you my find yourself being responsible for a lot of upset neighbors and possibly shut down.

I live in a small town and had pitiful traffic for three years. Last year a neighbor contacted the local paper (circulation 3,000). We went from a couple dozen cars a night to a line of seven cars most of Christmas Eve. I'm glad I only talked to the local paper and I'll probably stay away from publicity this year. Traffic is already 5X what it was last year at this time last year.

One of these days I need to drive up Rt. 15 and see your lights.

I was contacted by one of the local TV stations here in the Hartford area about doing a spot. A friend had told them about the show and thought she was doing me a favor. Thank you but no thanks. I get as many cars as can comfortably see the show and do not wish for more. I did this more for my kid and the neighborhood families than for someone from 15 miles away. Many LORers worry at first about not enough traffic after all their hard work but trust me, word will spread on it's own. My first show, first year last year had 4 cars. By Christmas, there were 60-70 cars per show (3 nightly) and viewing wasn't great for many.

I am glad I did it, I have just about the comfortable amount of cars now. I live 15 minutes away from the city in a little suburb, and was not really that busy. I had 4 cars watching at once last night (two times), but usually just 1 or 2.

• The topic was locked