Light-O-Rama Forums

Changing Networks and the Visualizer

heystew

Maybe i'm missing something but i am having trouble with the following.

I had to move 10 controllers to another network (Aux :). I created a new template file and tried to import into my Visualizer file.
The file imports ok, however the network assignments for those controllers does not change.

The result is that those fixtures on those 10 controllers can no longer be controlled by the visualizer.

Hoping I'm missing something simple.

thanks,
Dave

Note: I checked the XML file and the channels are on Network 2 as they should be for Aux B.

Just like physically moving the controllers to another network, you have to physically re-wire the visualizer. You'll need to go into each fixture and change the network.

There is an entry on the wishlist to allow the visualizer to update channel settings based on channel name (instead of updating channel names/Colors based on the KEY of device/network/unit/circuit).

You are the 3rd person who could use this so I am going to escalate the request up to Dan to see if he wants me to work on it as an emergency enhancement.

Thanks Mike,
not sure I completely understand though. I have not changed the channel name (i.e. it is still "39.1 - Spiral Tree 1 - Leg 1". The only thing that changed is the Network assignment. your description makes it sound like I changed the KEY, so it should have changed in the visualizer?

there are 160 channels spread across many fixtures/props that I would have to re-assign. This would be incredibly painful.

thanks again for the response.

Dave

The visualizer matches on a 'key'. For channels without a device (device=none), then the key is the name.

HOWEVER, once you have assigned a device to a channel in the visualizer, the key becomes that channel definition: device type/Network/Unit/Circuit.

In any case, the only thing that the visualizer will update *automatically* with a reference file is the channel color, or possibly the channel name. The color is always updated but the name is only updated if the channel has a defined 'key' (IE it has a device type/etc).

The best thing you can do is load the reference file, and ignore the auto update. Go into each of the fixtures, select each channel, and then use the button on the channel settings that sets the channel to whatever the reference file has. That WILL match on name, so it should be as easy as pushing the button, then pressing OK.

thanks for the explanation. It looks like i got lucky and for the controllers I moved, the channels are less spread out across props than I thought. I will update with the channel wizard to make them match.

No emergency, but it would definitely be nice to update based on the Key values as you mentioned.

thanks again,
dave

I have someone else in the same boat right now in eMail. The fix probably won't make it for a few weeks, but I have escalated it.

• 4 weeks later...

i second this fix. I just ran into same problem. I have 405 LOR channels and 12 ccr's. I had to manually update each of the LOR files in the visualizer to AUX B. Now I have the task of splitting The CCR in both Sequence editor and visualizer.