Light-O-Rama Forums

Explosion Proof Lights and Explosion Proof Cord attached?

Guest guest

Are you kidding me? Explosion proof lights and "EXPLOSION" proof cords?

Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnalight-Explosion-Proof-String-Lights-10-Drop-Lights-Class-2-60-Watts-12V-/250942151582?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%252BSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%252BUCI%252BRTU%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D260905071144%252B260905071144%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4584560807769459421

What it says: {Bolded/itallicized Text in description I did}

Made in the USA

The Magnalight EPL-SL-10 Explosion Proof String Light set is U.L. approved Class 1 Division 1 Groups C and D - and is ideal for general close work and inspection activities in hazardous locations requiring explosion proof protection.

This explosion proof string light set from Magnalight contains a total of ten, 26 watt, 60 watt or 100 watt work lights depending upon configuration, equipped with aluminum hooks and connected in series along 180 feet of 12/3 SOOW explosion proof cord. A fully potted aluminum junction box is mounted every ten feet, with 3 feet of 16/3 SOOW cord connecting a single drop light to each box. The cord on this unit is terminated with a 1523P Class 1, Division 1 explosion proof plug for complete protection. With this arrangement, each drop light cannot spark if pulled apart and the aluminum junction boxes will not spark if dragged. An 80 foot tail section of main SOOW cord is included to allow ample length for connection to power sources.

Come on? Really, explosion proof string light. explosion proof cord, explosion proof plug???? (and did you notice the cost? $3,900.00 for a set of 10!)

I have worked BUILDING munitions and I have worked in the electronics industry for well over 40 some years, I have NEVER, not once, ever heard of "EXPLOSION" proof strings, cords or plugs. FIRE PROOF, yes, explosion proof. Unless this is something new that just occurred within the last 2 years or so, I have a hard time believing their is such a thing.

In all my years of doing this type work, I've never had an electrical cord "explode", never had a plug "explode", never had a light string "explode", now I have had an LED POP (explode if you will), I've even had C7 bulbs pop and break (explode in a sense when they burned out and got shaken/moved by winds while the power was still on and they pop.) Good reason why to always shut power off when replacing a bulb or LED in any type of light string!

"ideal for general close work and inspection activities in hazardous locations requiring explosion proof protection."

Use these types of lights in fuel cells. Just means they are safe in those hazardous types of spaces.

Admittedly, he could have worded that better.

When I was employed at Eastman Kodak (1979 to 1983)in the solvent coating division, everything there was explosion proof due to MEK, Acetone,etc being used in 1000's of gallons each day.
Also used to use similar lights in the military to work on aircraft fuel tanks when replacing fuel quanity probes.

So yea, explosion proof stuff is available and certainly not cheap.

I use to hate when we had to redo wiring in Kodak during shutdowns because when conduit passed from one room to another, the conduit had to have an explosion proof fitting on it which was more or less a junction box that you had to fill with a mixed compound that would harden up and prevent fumes from traveling through the conduit. Major pain in the butt to try and open one of those fittings up without runing the wires already in there. Most times had to run all new wiring just to add a couple of new wires.

Orville, have you ever thrown a fluorescent bulb into the garbage and seen it "explode", explosion proof lighting would contain that bulb. We use explosion proof housings with the lights in our oxygen room, been that way for years.