Light-O-Rama Forums

Help!

marshyq

I just got 2 PC-CTB16PC-COMPLETE via UPS and put them together. The first one I booted up to assign a Unit ID worked just fine and the next one there is no LED on at all. I don't have fancy tools to check voltage to see if it has power. Is there anything someone could recommend trying before I lose my mind?

Post a picutre of the front and possable the back of your boards it will help the smart people here ( not Me ) figure it out

jimswinder wrote:

is there a place for the LED?

you could go to Radio Shack and buy one and solder it in...

There is already an LED there.

This was a kit where you go connect the power dongles and went to power it up and the LED didn't light.

The LED has a positive and negative leg (it's a diode). Make sure you inserted it correctly in the board. If you have it backward, it won't light up. The flat side on the base of the LED goes to the left I believe.

I just notice you bought them already built. I would check the LED anyway to make sure it is in the same as the working one. One of the power cords powers the processor and LED. If you only plug in one side of the board it may not work.

marshyq wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
is there a place for the LED?

you could go to Radio Shack and buy one and solder it in...

There is already an LED there.

This was a kit where you go connect the power dongles and went to power it up and the LED didn't light.
sorry...misread it..thought it said "there was no LED on IT".. lol

and double check to make sure the power cords are hooked up correctly...

Ive changed the fuses. Tried to use different power cords and there is still no LED lighting. Could it be a faulty controller I'm guessing??

jimswinder wrote:

have you tried to see if the actual controller works?

maybe it is just a faulty LED...

Yeah, I plugged it into my computer and it just says "Found 0 Units".

jimswinder wrote:

sounds like a Help Desk ticket then...

Yeah, I was afraid of that. I've tried everything - and here I thought I would turn on my display tonight. Not happy!! Wish I had an extra controller laying around like some of these people lol.

Ok, on the unit not working. With the power cords pulled out of the outlet (aka remove power). There are several chips that are in sockets. Make sure that none of them got loosened due to rough handling in shipping. Otherwise, I am leaning towards a defective unit that made it through QC. Though shipping can be brutal sometimes to stuff.

Look on the board. In the center is the transformer. On the right side of the transformer there should be a 4 pin header with 2 little jumpers next to each other. One jumper covers the left 2 pins and one jumper covers the right 2 pins, for 120 volt input. Are these jumpers in place? It may be possible that they have come loose in shipping and are loose in the packaging.

Chuck

marshyq wrote:

I don't have fancy tools to check voltage to see if it has power.

I know you got enough on your mind, but you really should consider spending $20 on a simple voltage tester. If you plan on expanding your display you will find a 101 uses for this. Especially since you are not always checking for 120V. Sometimes its 5 or 10 when checking the board.